ᴅʀɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ

Summary: You're sick and too stubborn for your own good, making Carlos worry about you when you don't take care of yourself.

Words: 1.1k+

♡♡♡♡♡

"You're not driving"

"Why not??"

"You're sick, I'm not risking putting you behind the wheel just because you're stubborn"

You had been bickering like this for nearly 10 minutes now, neither of you wanting to compromise for the other.

It's not like you were that sick, you were coughing a bit, with a runny nose, sore muscles and a little temperature. You were basically fine and good to go.

But Carlos didn't agree on that.

He blamed what he called the "Verstappen stubborn gene." He always made fun of you and your brother, Max, for sharing that stubborn trait that he hated so much.

It was also because he was a stubborn person as well, which meant that you would oftentimes clash regarding pretty much everything.

Just like you were doing now.

You were insisting to drive you and Carlos to the track so he could get some more rest and the boy was having none of it.

"Just because I'm a little sick doesn't mean I'm incapable of driving, mi amor" you complained, rolling your eyes which hurt right in your sinuses.

That should have been the first sign to stop you from being so adamant to drive, but you weren't about to give up so easily.

"Little sick? You've been burning up for 2 days and can barely get any sleep without waking up in cold sweat. You hardly eat anything and your sinuses are clogged" he reasoned, making you look at him.

He was right. Everything he was saying was the truth.

But it still didn't sway you.

"It's just a cold, I can manage just fine" you said before opening the door and getting into the driver's seat.

Carlos sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He hates how stubborn you were at times, and he knew that his attempts to get you to let him drive would be in vain.

With that being said, he just sighed once again and got into the passenger seat.

"Just so we're clear, I don't condone this and I'm really not okay with you driving in this state" he said once he buckled up, tracking your every movement with his eyes.

"Amor, I'll be fine. It's just a short ride, it's not like I'll be driving for hours" you attempted to soothe him, but it clearly wasn't working.

He only hummed and looked back at the road, keeping an eye on you from the corner of his eye.

As you started the relatively short drive from your hotel and towards the track, you could slowly feel your eyes burning, the soreness in your muscles escalating with each minute and your headache coming in strong.

It was in those moments that you knew he had been right and you shouldn't have insisted on driving. You could feel nausea coming quickly onto your body, making you swallow harshly in order to tame it for now.

You had barely made it to the track safely, Carlos already knowing that you would be way too tired to even watch the race after this.

"I told you so" he said, standing beside you as you weakly managed to get out of the car.

You glared at him, the movement hurting your sinuses even more.

"I just wanted you to get some more rest before we got here" you said, pouting at him with glossy eyes.

He sighed when he looked at you, bringing you into his arms right away. He kissed your forehead, frowning once he felt how hot you were and saw how sick you actually looked.

"I know you did, but baby, you're sick. I don't want to rest when you're feeling like this, I want to take care of you. And I can't do that when you argue with me and put me on the spot for wanting to help you" he said, gently trying to make you see that he only wanted what was best for you.

Deep down, you knew you had been wrong, and right now in Carlos' arms, you realized just how much you had needed his warmth and his hug.

"I'm sorry for being stubborn" your voice was small, but he still heard you.

"Come on, let's get you to hospitality and find some medicine and a quiet place to rest for you" he let go of you and opened the door to take your bags, taking your hand and leading you to the Ferrari hospitality.

He manages to avoid the paparazzi on the way to the motorhome, keeping you close to his body.

Once you got to the motorhome, his manager, Carlos, was waiting for him there, his eyebrows instantly furrowing once he saw the state you were in.

"What's wrong with her?" Carlos asked your boyfriend once he sat you down at a table and wrapped his red jacket around your body.

Carlos sighed, looking back at how you were practically sleeping on the chair before he turned around to talk to his cousin.

"She's been sick for the past few days and today she insisted on driving us to the track even when I told her she's too sick to drive. We just barely got here okay because she got worse on the road" he explained, his voice hushed as he kept stealing glances at his passed out girlfriend.

"Have you talked to her doctor or something?" Onoro asked worriedly, caring for you just as much as Carlos ever since the two of you were introduced.

Carlos nodded. "I did, she said we should just wait for it to pass, that she should get plenty of rest and shouldn't do much, but you know how she is" he explained further.

"You have one stubborn girlfriend, mate" his cousin joked, bumping his shoulder in order to help the driver relax.

Carlos chuckled, nodding knowingly.

Just as he was about to say something else, you whined as you started to wake up, trying to wrap the jacket even tighter around your body.

"Amor?" your voice was small, your eyes slowly blinking open.

"I'm here, baby. Come on, let's get you to a room where you can rest up. Carlos will look after you" he said while picking you up bridal style.

The three of you made your way upstairs to a free room, Carlos immediately bundled you up in your blankets that he brought for you and helped you take your medicine.

Even in your current state, somewhere between reality and sleep, you realized just how much you needed to rest and how truly sick you were.

"Thank you for taking care of me and sorry for insisting on driving today" you said when he finished fussing over you and leaned down to kiss your forehead.

Carlos shook his head, brushing a strand of your hair from your eyes.

"Don't apologize, just get some rest and I'll see you after practice, okay?" you nodded, settling into the tiny bed and allowing yourself to succumb to your sleep.

Carlos left you in the room partly against his will, but with the reassurance that his cousin would take care of you while he was in the car.

And, at the end of the day, he was always going to take care of you, no matter what.