ʀᴏᴏᴋɪᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ʏᴇᴀʀ

Summary: On a mission to prove everyone wrong, Oscar end up having one of the most impressive rookie seasons ever in Formula 1 and receiving Rookie of the Year award, but he knows he couldn't have done it without your support.

Words: 1.1k+

♡♡♡♡♡

Being named Rookie of the Year had been the absolute highlight of the season for Oscar. He had been very nervous coming into Formula 1, knowing it would be a major change from Formula 2.

And yet here he was, with you on his way to Baku to receive the Rookie of the Year award.

You couldn't have been more proud of him, knowing how much work he had put in to get here and how grateful he was for the opportunity he had been given.

"How do I look?" you asked Oscar as you smoothed down your flowery dark blue dress, checking your reflection out in the full-length mirror.

"Absolutely gorgeous as always" he cooed as he came up behind you and wrapped his arms around your torso, resting his head on your shoulder.

You fell silent for a moment and just admired the two of you in the mirror, wrapped up in each other's arms. How the man still managed to give you butterflies after 4 years together, you didn't know. 

But you were oh so grateful.

"Ready to receive your award?" you finally broke the silence and turned around in his arms, now looping the loosely around his neck.

"Yeah, but I'm looking forward to showing you off more than the award" he mumbled huskily, leaning his head down to your neck and planting kisses all along your throat, making a moan escape your lips.

"If you keep that up, we're going to miss the ceremony" you managed to get out before a small moan escaped again.

"Let's just stay here and not go" he mumbled, now sucking on the spot behind your ear that he knew made you absolutely crazy.

"Nuh-uh. I want to see my boy up on that stage getting his award. Come on, let's go" it took all the strength you had in your body to pull away from him in that moment, but you knew it was for the best.

Oscar just groaned, but stomped after you to the car that was waiting for you.

♡♡♡♡♡

"Is it just me or is my shirt a little too tight?" Oscar aske as you were seated at the table, waiting for the ceremony to start.

He was tugging at the collar of his shirt, feeling the shirt too tight around his neck. 

"You got buffed since you bought this shirt" you joked, helping him undo a button.

"I got what?" you loved how confused Oscar was because he wasn't familiar with the modern slang concerning his beefy neck.

"Means your neck muscles got bigger so you look more beefier" you explained, brushing a strand of his hair out of his eyes.

"Oh" he said, slowly nodding his head.

You chuckled at how cute he was and quickly pecked his lips, just as the lights started to dim and everyone started applauding.

"Good evening everyone and welcome..."

♡♡♡♡♡

"I'm nervous" Oscar leaned and whispered to you as the time for him to accept his award was coming up any minute.

"You deserve this, love. You just go up there and take the award that you deserve, you don't have to be nervous about anything" you took his hand and squeezed it, leaning in to plant a gentle kiss on his cheek.

He sighed but nodded, leaning back and keeping your hand in his.

Oscar was new to all of this, which is why he was nervous and cautious about every step he took in his career. He was bound to be judged more harshly and he had been under the microscope ever since the season started because he was a rookie and he needed to impress the fans and the people who put trust in him.

He deserved this award more than anyone, you had never seen someone have such an amazing rookie season in years. 

"And now, the category you all have been waiting for. Rookie of the Year" one of the presenters announced, making Oscar even more tense and nervous in his seat.

You squeezed his hand once again, giving him an encouraging smile.

"And now, the moment everyone this evening has been waiting for. The Worldwide Motorsport Rookie of the Year award goes to none other than McLaren's Oscar Piastri!"

The whole venue started clapping loudly, some of them even whistling in your boyfriend's name. Oscar stood up and brought you into a hug, pecking your lips quickly. He shook hands with everyone at the table before he got up on the stage to accept the award.

Once the photo had been taken, the presenters urged Oscar to say a few words in light of receiving the prestigious award.

"Good evening everyone, I hope you are all having a great time tonight. Um, wow, this is a very big deal for me, if you couldn't already tell. I'm extremely grateful to everyone from the McLaren team, the engineers, Mark, Zak, everyone who believed in me enough to give me a chance here in Formula 1. I'm grateful for my family because they've supported me in this journey from the very start, they believed in me and never let me quit on myself. Thank you to all the fans for supporting me and the team this whole season, your support means more to us than you could ever imagine. And lastly, I want to thank my girlfriend, Y/N Y/L/N, who's here with me tonight" he pointed towards you in the crowd, making you blush. "I couldn't have done this without her by my side. She has been with me at every race this season, she has been my absolute rock, supporting me even when I might not have deserved it. I'm grateful for everything you do for me and I don't think I could ever spend a day without you or I'd go crazy. Call me a simp, but I can't live without you. I love you, so much. Thank you everyone!" he raised his award over his head before turning around and walking off the stage.

When he came back at the table, you couldn't help but attack him with a hug, pressing kisses all over his face until you got to his lips, lingering for a moment longer.

"I love you so much, Oscar" you whispered, stroking his cheek with your thumb. "I'm so proud of everything you've achieved with the team this season and I can't wait to see what next year has in story for you"

"I meant it when I said I couldn't live without you. Your support is what got me through the first half of the season. God knows I wouldn't have been able to get through it on my own"

You smiled teasingly, pecking his lips again before settling back in your seat, your hands tightly intertwined.

As you sneaked glances at him, your heart swelled with pride every time.

Your Rookie of the Year.

Your boy.

♡♡♡♡♡