ꜱᴄᴀʀᴇᴅ

Summary: The Las Vegas weekend hadn't been what either driver expected, but a sudden crash from your boyfriend makes your entire life flash before your eyes.

Words: 1.2k+

♡♡♡♡♡

Seconds felt like years.

Time seemed to stop and everything around you disappeared. Your only focus was your boyfriend, who hadn't responded on the radio.

Your boyfriend, who had just crashed and went into the barriers. Your boyfriend who wasn't even moving at all.

You could feel the beating of your heart in the tips of your fingers, you could hear it ringing in your ears as your eyes only focused on the man currently worrying his team half to death.

"Lando, are you okay?" you could vaguely hear his engineers asking.

Your eyes trained on the screen when you saw him moving, lifting a shaky hand to respond to the radio.

"Yeah, all good" he croaked out, but you instantly knew it wasn't all good.

The pain in his voice and the shaking of his hand brought tears to your eyes, as well as Cisca's. From the moment the crash had happened, you hadn't left each other's side, waiting worriedly for any news from the driver.

Everything that happened after was a blur to you.

Adam coming over to you and Cisca and telling you he was on his way to the medical center in the paddock to check on Lando. The engineers trying desperately to focus on Oscar who was still in the race. Cisca holding you and reassuring you that everything was going to be okay. Adam calling you and telling you they were taking Lando at the hospital for some precautionary check-ups.

You didn't even remember the ride to the hospital, the whole way there just staring out the window and chewing at your bottom lip, your hand still tightly holding your boyfriend's mother's.

Upon entering the hospital, you saw Adam speaking to a doctor in the hallway, which prompted you to quickly run over to them in hope of getting some news about your boyfriend.

"How is he?" your voice came out so desperate, tears already welling up in your eyes.

"He is fine. Suffered a bit of a shock because of the force of the collision, so he's going to be sore for a couple of days. We just have to run a couple more tests to confirm that he doesn't have a concussion, prescribe him some meds and then he'll be good to go" the doctor explained, and you could feel relief slowly washing over your body.

He was alive, he was okay.

"Can I see him?"

The doctor nodded and took you to his room, his parents assuring you that they were okay to check on him later.

You entered the dimly lit room and your eyes immediately landed on Lando, who was laying down in the hospital bed, happily munching at a sandwich and following the race on the TV.

When he heard the door open and his landed on you, he smiled and outstretched his arms, signaling you that he wanted a hug.

"Oh my God" you whispered and quickly closed the gap between you two, tightly wrapping your arms around his body.

His grip on you was equally as strong, his head buried in the crook of your neck. He inhaled your scent and let the feel of your touch soothe him, making him forget all about his accident.

"I'm okay, I'm okay" he kept whispering in your ear, trying to comfort both you and himself.

He hadn't ever crashed like that, remembering every single detail about it. All he could think about as he was barreling towards the wall was you, standing in the garage and watching the crash with your own eyes, his parents surely watching with you.

The thought that you had to see that, knowing how worried you got every time he had to get in the car, he had never felt more guilty or had been more worried than in that moment.

"You scared me so much. When you weren't responding on the radio, the worst scenarios were swirling around in my head and oh, I was so worried about you" you rambled as you pulled away and smoother the untamed hair on the top of his head, silently inspecting his face and body for any injuries or any signs that he was in pain.

"I know, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry I scared you, but I'm okay, see?" he tried to cheer you up, but you knew him too well and could tell that he was hiding how scared he had been and how much pain he was in.

"Please don't lie to me. I saw how shaky, out of breath and in pain you were. When I heard your voice on the radio, I broke down. How are you really feeling, my love?" you were caressing the side of his face, looking him in the eye.

He sighed and rested his head on the bed, sometimes hating how well you knew him.

"I was scared" he finally admitted. "I've never crashed like that, and the world just seemed to flash before my eyes. All I could think about was you and my parents watching me crash. I know how much you guys worry about me and all I could think about was how worried you were"

You nodded and kissed his forehead, cradling his head into your chest.

You kept planting kisses on his head, reassuring the both of you at the same time that he was okay.

♡♡♡♡♡

The hours following his crash were the worst for you.

After he was released from the hospital and after he was done with the race debrief, all he could think about doing was getting to the hotel, taking a bath and getting some sleep.

From the moment you left the paddock and until you got to the hotel, you couldn't tear your eyes away from him. You inspected him, watching for any sign that would indicate any discomfort, something the doctors could have missed, anything.

Even when you got to the hotel, you insisted on taking a bath with him, purely just to make sure he wouldn't tire himself out any more than he already was.

Going to bed was the most difficult task of all.

Lando had fallen asleep as soon as his head had hit the pillow, but you hadn't had the same luck.

Imaged of his crash haunted your mind, not letting you even get a wink of sleep for the first few hours of the night.

You turned on your side and faced Lando, who was snoring happily without a care in the world. You outstretched your hand and ran your finger gently down the side of his face, trying to memorize his features.

"Why are you still up?" his sleepy voice startled you, prompting you to retract your hand.

"I can't sleep" you explained, snuggling closer to his body.

"What's on your mind, pretty?" he wrapped his arms around your body, running a hand down your spine.

"I keep thinking about your crash. I was so scared, baby. Seeing you like that is something I never want to see again" you confessed, burying your head deeper into his chest.

"I know baby, and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I promise never to put you through that ever again" he kissed your forehead, resting his head on yours.

You knew he couldn't promise you that, not with the job he had.

But for now, for your sake, you believed him.

You had to.

Because you knew he would do everything in his power to keep up the end of his promise.

That's one of the reason why you loved him.

And you were so grateful he was there, with you. Forever.

♡♡♡♡♡