Chapter 11: Morning 🔅 (Saphire)

It was morning

It was morning.

I woke up. The sunlight leaking through the curtain was hitting me, and my stomach was warm. I was hungry.

For a few days, the Phoenixes have not been as happy as before. It feels like the universe is angry at us. It's like one of us breaks the rules and the Universe punishes us.

I feel like someone is breaking the rule that the Phoenixes should stay away from the Ravens.

Strange. I'm sure none of us would do this. Because we are all smart enough to know that a Raven is dangerous.

I stretched. I sat up slightly in my bed. I put my pink hair behind my ear and yawned.

I yawned pretty hard. I slept very well.

I got into a sitting position. Since I was not very tall, my feet did not touch the ground and remained in the air. I woke up feeling good today. I shook my feet with pleasure and yawned again.

I stretched strongly, opening my arms and fixed my eyes on the picture on the opposite wall. The picture we took with Jatfer last summer...

Jatfer had smiled so sweetly.

As I do every morning, I looked into the eyes of Jatfer smiling in the picture and smiled. Then I put my feet on the ground and put on my fluffy slippers.

I went to the bathroom with reluctant steps, dragging my feet. I was still sleeping, I hadn't woken up yet. I went to the toilet and washed my face. When I looked up at the mirror, my green eyes caught my gaze.

“Oww,” I moaned. I was ugly again today. I put my hand through my hair and smoothed it. I wasn't in a hurry, I took my comb from the drawer and tried to comb my hair a little.

I lingered a bit. I watched myself in the mirror. I thought about when the war would end and when Jatfer and I could walk around in peace. I dreamed that the war was over and everyone was free and happy.

I sighed and went back to my bedroom, where I made my bed and put on something nicer than pajamas.

I opened the window, it was very stuffy inside.

Suddenly I started hearing noises. My cheek twitched. I scratched my cheek. Towards my cheekbones.

The noises grew louder and began to turn into rumbles. I'm starting to get frightened. I approached the door, put my ear to the door and listened to the sounds outside.

The voices sounded very close.

I was afraid. Usually, the Phoenix Mansion was quiet at this time.

I'm afraid of the ravens raiding, I'm afraid every morning. But if this voice had heralded a Raven's raid, someone would have heard it before me.

Trying to maintain my composure, I twisted the brass knob of the wooden door.

Ah... There is nothing to be afraid of...

The voices were coming from Nerdes.

Nerdes lives in the room right next to mine. We become like neighbors next door, but we are more friends than neighbors.

"Nerdes!" I said. "You scared me a lot!"

I laughed. "How do those sounds come out of you?"

"Saphire, let me go a little bit," he said.

My eyes were stuck on Nerdes.

Frankly, I didn't expect such an answer.

"Nerdes,” I said, in a lower voice. "Are you okay?"

“How do you think I look!?” he said, his voice eerily cold.

"Well," I said. "You don't look so well..."

"Then don't come at me, buddy."

I tightened my lips. "Let's go downstairs with you. Fresh air will be good."

"I wouldn't want to, thanks."

He was about to enter his room and slam the door, but I held the door. "Aren't you going to come down to breakfast?"

"I won't get off," he said and took my hands off the door and knocked on the sparrow door. The resulting sound hit me like a basketball in the face.

"Okaaay..." I muttered. "Then you can eat..."

I didn't want to just leave Nerdes the way she was.

“Maybe you want to go out for brunch, huh?”

"Let me out, Saphire!"

I frowned. "Okay, Nerdes."

I was shaking my head reproachfully as I went to my room. "This guy wasn't like that."

Could he be breaking the rules? Could he be sharing something with a Raven?