hey mama

⠀⠀"Luke, I'm recovering from a laceration, not surgery," she laughed softly, teasing him as he fluffed her pillows.

She appreciated his attention to detail, but she also didn't want him to worry unnecessarily, especially when she could feel the eyes of her siblings intently watching them, Annabeth included.

Luke paused, giving her a pointed look. "You got stabbed," he pointed out, his tone serious.

"Barely," she insisted, unable to suppress her smile.

But Luke wasn't entirely convinced. "Stop smiling, this isn't funny," he said, lightly flicking her forehead. His gesture was gentle, but his concern was evident.

Alessandra chuckled at Luke's playful admonishment, her smile widening despite his efforts to scold her.

"I was just trying to make you smile," she replied, her voice light with amusement. "But, I am glad it wasn't worse."

Luke rolled his eyes, but there was a fondness in his gaze as he looked at her. "You're impossible," he sighed, though there was a hint of relief in his voice. He was grateful that she was okay, even if her insistence on making light of the situation was mildly infuriating.

Alessandra reached out and playfully swatted at Luke's hand. "Come on, Luke, lighten up," she said, her tone teasing. "I'll be back on my feet in no time, you'll see."

Luke sighed, unable to stay mad at her infectious optimism. "I know you will," he said, his voice softening. "Just... try not to do anything reckless, okay? We can't afford to lose you out there."

Alessandra nodded, her smile softening. "I promise," she said, her voice sincere. "I'll be careful."

Annabeth, who had been hovering nearby, chimed in with a soft chuckle. "Well, regardless, we're glad you're okay, Alessandra," she said, her voice warm with genuine concern. "You had us all worried there for a moment."

"How was the cabin when I was away?" Alessandra inquired, her gaze shifting to Annabeth.

"We were fine; it was a little quiet when you were away, but we managed," Annabeth replied.

"That's good," Alessandra smiled, pleased by the news, and Annabeth nodded before excusing herself, leaving Alessandra and Luke alone.

"You should rest, Alessandra," Luke whispered, his voice a soft murmur as he brushed a stray lock of hair from her face. His touch sent shivers down her spine, igniting a warmth within her that she couldn't quite explain.

Their eyes locked in a silent exchange, the air between them thick with unspoken words and emotions. Alessandra could feel her heart racing in her chest, her breath catching in her throat as she gazed into Luke's eyes, losing herself in the depths of his gaze.

For a moment, it felt as though time stood still, their bodies drawn together by an invisible force, their hearts beating in unison. Alessandra was acutely aware of the heat radiating from Luke's body, the closeness between them electrifying and intoxicating.

But as much as she longed to lean in and close the distance between them, Alessandra knew that now was not the time. She was still recovering, still vulnerable, and she didn't want to complicate things between them.

"Thanks, Luke," she murmured, her voice soft with gratitude. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Luke's smile widened at her words, his eyes shining with affection as he gazed down at her. "You don't have to worry about that," he said softly. "I'm not going anywhere."

Alessandra's smile widened as Luke echoed her words from their earlier conversation by the lake, a gentle smile playing on his lips as he observed her fondly.