Chapter 16

Later that Friday evening, Makenna left the gym after her session with Thea and headed to her dorm. It wasn't until after she took a quick shower and was about to settle in for the night that she realized she needed to make a trip to the convenience store. She slipped into a pair of black yoga pants and threw on her printed hoodie that was a few sizes bigger than her, which she loved. She clipped her hair up and headed out of her dorm with her headphones on. She hit play on her Spotify playlist from the last song she'd had going.

When she arrived at the convenience store, she was quick to spot Tim at the counter. She smiled at him when he looked up and she grabbed a basket. She went about shopping for snacks and other essentials she needed because hers had run out or were about to. However, snacks and munchies were her priority. With her sessions with Thea, she had to dedicate extra time to focus on herself. But Thea had been doing good and was only starting to make Makenna put in some work while training her. Hence, she needed the extra carbs on days like this.

Makenna's basket was almost full when she headed towards the counter,
"Hi, Tim,"

"Mac,"

The sound of his voice made Makenna look at his face, and she frowned,
"Everything alright?"

Tim gave her what she figured was his best attempt at a smile, but it didn't do anything to conceal the fact that something was bothering him.
"Nothing that I should bother you with."

She watched as he scanned the items in her basket,
"I asked because I want to know." She paused and waited for him, "C'mon Tim, it'll make you feel better."

He sighed and his frown lines deepened,
"I'm thinking of closing shop."

Makenna had not expected that,
"What?" Her voice was almost inaudible to her,

"It's a lot of work keeping this place open and the last guy quit a few weeks ago."

Makenna couldn't explain what she was feeling but it almost felt like betrayal.

"I mean, I can handle things here at the counter. but inventory and stocking, that's something I cannot do anymore. Not at my age."

It was like the blind had been pulled off Makenna's eyes and she was able to see what he was talking about. Tim had been old when she worked at the convenience store in high school, but now, he seemed fragile.

"No one is responding to the job posting and I don't see the need to take inventory and order more products."

Makenna took a breath and she let her feelings escape as she exhaled.
"But you love this shop."

Tim smiled,
"It was always my Janice's place. Then it became ours and I wanted to keep her dream alive after I lost her. But now, I think she would understand."

Makenna's heart went out to him and she felt her eyes begin to brim with tears, but she quickly blinked them away,
"No."

Tim looked up at her from the item he was scanning,
"What?"

"Tim, you love this place." Makenna said, "I mean, you say it was Janice's dream, but I think somewhere along the way, it became yours too."

Tim looked pensive with a sad smile on his face,
"I guess you're right. But that doesn't change the current situation."

"If you find someone to help you take inventory and stock up, would you keep it open?"

Makenna had Tim's full attention,
"Maybe."

"No, Tim." Makenna said adamantly, "That was your only excuse. If someone helped with that, you have no more excuses."

"You have someone in mind?"

Makenna was quiet for a second, not sure what she was about to get herself into. But if Tim isolated any more than he was already doing, she knew where that would lead. The thought of him, by himself, going through something similar to what she had sat heavily on her heart.

"Me."

It wasn't there, and then it appeared slowly, but his smile was comforting.
"Young lady, you should be out in the world having fun with your friends, enjoying your life."

"Well, I'm resetting my priorities and you gave me a job when I needed it once. Now it's my turn to return the favor."

He studied her quietly,
"Are you sure?"

Makenna smiled softly,
"I did learn from the best, but you can put me on probation for the first month or two."

Tim scanned the last item and looked at her with a big smile,
"Hired. Gladly."

Makenna's smile grew and she felt a lightness in her heart she couldn't explain. She asked for his phone and put in her number as he packed her items.

"I'll be here tomorrow to take inventory, and you can call me or text me when the items arrive to stock up."

"That is great, Mac."

"Thank you, Tim." She said when she exchanged his phone for her bag of items,

"I think you have it backward. I should be the one thanking you."

Makenna handed him the amount and he declined it.
"Tim, I'm not going to work for you if you don't accept my payment."

"How about we make a deal right now?"

Makenna narrowed her eyes,
"I'm listening."

"You take anything you want for free and I don't have to pay you for working."

Makenna thought about it,
"I don't think that's a fair trade because I'll be here a few times a month and I come here..."

"A few times a month." Tim said, "Seems fair to me."

The look she saw in his eyes was set and she sighed,
"Well I'm starting tomorrow, so this doesn't count."

Tim shook his head,
"You win this one."

Makenna chuckled as he handed her some change,
"Thank you, Tim." She called as she headed for the door with a grin,

"And thank you, Mac."

Makenna glanced back at him as she arrived at the door but someone pulled it open before she could. Her gaze shifted to the person who stood outside the store holding the door for her and her smile slowly faded into oblivion.

Stormy blue.
She thought as the gloom descended on her,

The look in his eyes was completely bleak and she wasn't sure she liked it. She blinked twice before she let her gaze drop from his eyes because it hurt to look at him. She wondered if she'd put that cold look in his eyes and brushed it away.

She stepped outside hating that she was too aware of him,
"Thanks."

She looked up at him just in time to see him give her a nod. Then his gaze left her and he was gone. Somehow, he left the gloom behind with her and she embraced it because she felt like she deserved it after their last encounter. She thought she was giving herself too much credit but it didn't feel that way.

Makenna closed her eyes and inhaled the cool night air into her lungs. She didn't feel better but she didn't dwell on it. She turned and headed back to her dorm. She did not like how she was starting to hate being in the same space as him, it felt like a nightmare she couldn't avoid.