Chapter 7

Monday approached fast and spring break was over just as quickly as it had begun. Makenna felt lighter now that she was out of the house and back in her dorm. But another side of her felt guilty for feeling that way because her parents had done a lot for her to feel comfortable. She did appreciate their efforts but her anxiety about being around or in the house wasn't something she could simply turn off.

Again, she was late for her first class because her parents had made her spend the night at home rather than head back to her dorm on Sunday. Plus, the huge breakfast hadn't helped much either.

Makenna turned, taking the back door so she didn't distract anyone. She pushed through the door and headed inside the lecture hall. She held her breath when Mrs. Kim caught sight of her. She stopped her lecture and kept her gaze on her.

Makenna knew this banter and she let out a sigh in preparation for what was coming.

"Ms. Adams," Mrs. Kim began, "Thank you for taking the time to stop by for the lecture. We appreciate the effort."

"No, Mrs. Kim," Makenna slipped into the back seat, "It's really my pleasure."

There was a hint of a smile on Mrs. Kim's face before she continued the lecture. Makenna felt someone' gaze on her and turned to find Vanessa smiling at her.

"You're late." She mouthed,

Makenna frowned,
"Really?" She mouthed back,

Vanessa's smile widened before she looked away and they both concentrated on the lecture which ended half an hour later. She caught up with Vanessa and they both headed towards Mrs. Kim at the front of the hall who spoke to a few students as others filed out.

"I'll reschedule a re-take a few weeks from now," Mrs. Kim told some of the students, "Don't worry about it. Just prepare for it."

"Thank you," "Alright," and "Okay" were said before the students walked away,

Mrs. Kim's gaze shifted to her and Vaness and she smiled,
"It's good to see you girls together." She packed up her table,

"Have you graded our papers?" Vanessa asked what Makenna was thinking,

"I have and that's all you'll both be getting out of me," Mrs. Kim picked up her bag and headed out of the hall,

Of course, Makenna and Vanessa followed closely behind.

"We did good, right?" Vanessa asked,

"Of course, we did." Makenna said,

"If you're certain you did, why are you following me?"

"Well, I'm here for something else entirely." Makenna said,

Mrs. Kim stopped and they almost bumped into her. She looked from Vanessa to Makenna and fixed her gaze on her.
"What is it?"

"Well, we're kind of a topic behind. I was wondering if you would have enough time to cover everything this semester."

"Even if I don't, you all should because your paper is ready."

Makenna and Vanessa stared at her, dumbfounded.

Mrs. Kim smiled in victory and walked away,
"Now, don't miss your next class."

They both watched her go as different thoughts went through their head about the things they'd read and forgotten as well as the things they hadn't read.

After classes were done, Makenna and Vanessa made a quick stop at Metro Coffee to grab some sustenance before they headed to the library. They were less than two months away from finals and they wanted to maintain their four-point GPA. Makenna knew getting into Law School after graduation would be no small feat especially if she wanted to get an internship in a well-known law firm after her first year in law school. Vanessa had her own path. She was planning on going to the Police Academy during the summer break.