Chapter 9

Vanessa hadn't said a word when she joined Makenna at the table with the books they needed to study. She'd stayed quiet about the fact that she'd seen the reason Makenna was being totally weird. She hadn't seen the point of mentioning it when she knew Makenna wasn't going to come clean about it.

Makenna closed the books in front of her and put her books in her bag, ready to leave when Vanessa was. Vanessa, who was already distracted with the situation at hand, wasted no time following suit and Makenna picked up the borrowed books to return them while Vanessa put her books away.

By the time Makenna returned, Vanessa was ready to go and they headed out of the library together. Not a moment after, Will and Atlas went through the same doors and Will was the first one to spot them as they headed down the stairs.

"There they are," Will said,

Atlas caught sight of them and Will called out to them as they got closer. Vanessa turned and waved at them with a smile.

Makenna didn't turn because she knew who it was,
"I have somewhere I need to be. See you later."

"But..." Vanessa's words died in her mouth as she watched Makenna walk away.

"What was that?"

Vanessa turned to find Will and Atlas in front of her and they all turned to watch her leave.
"I have no idea." She turned and found that Atlas' gaze still followed her,

Or maybe I do.
Vanessa couldn't help thinking,

"What's up?" Vanessa asked Will who smiled,

"I wanted to know if you'd like to go to a party next week; say Friday,"

"Oh," Vanessa's high-pitched response was a clear indication that she hadn't expected it,

"I mean you and Mac," Will quickly added,

"Oh," She hated how deflated she sounded the second it was out, "I mean, sure, I'll check with Mac. Where's the party?"

"I'll text everything to you before the end of the week."

Vanessa nodded,
"Ok. Give me your phone."

Will took out his phone from his pocket and handed it to her after he unlocked it. He watched as Vanessa put in her number and then handed it back to him.

"See you around." She smiled at them before she turned around and left,

"Smooth, mate," Atlas said as Will watched her walk away,

Will looked at him,
"I don't know what you're talking about."

Atlas smiled and placed his hand on Will's shoulder,
"Sure, let's go with that."

Atlas walked away, leaving Will feeling confused,
"I don't." Will went after him,

"Ok. See you later." Atlas called as he headed towards his bike,

Atlas had looked forward to seeing Makenna all weekend after their last conversation in her backyard. Now, he replayed that conversation in his head trying to figure out what he'd likely said wrong. But he couldn't think of anything because the conversation had been pretty basic. He had to remind himself that whatever happened might not have had anything to do with what he said, or even about him.

As he mounted his bike, he made a point to have a talk with Makenna when he saw her later in the day at the gym. He was looking forward to that conversation and sorting through whatever situation they'd gotten themselves into. He just wanted his friend back.

Makenna walked into Metro Coffee the second time that day feeling somewhat relieved that she'd been able to get away from him again. A part of her screamed 'coward' at every chance and a tiny part felt it. She was being completely childish but that was the only way she knew how to act around him anymore. There was a situation and she got away from it to not make things awkward; it was as simple as that.

"The prodigal returns."

Makenna was too lost in thought that she hadn't noticed her usual table was taken by the group. She headed towards the table and took the empty seat, needing a distraction from her thoughts.

"Kent," Makenna stared at him, unblinking, "You're still showing your face in public, I see."

"And you're still alive,"

I almost wasn't.
Makenna clenched her jaw at the fact that his statement got to her even though she knew he hadn't meant it that way.

"Only to be a constant reminder of what you did to my roommate,"

"Mac," Hee called for her to stop,

"It's not like nobody doesn't know, he hasn't tried to hide it either." Makenna glanced at her before looking back at Kent, "Really classy of you."

"I just give the ladies what they want."

Hee snapped her gaze at Kent just as Brandon and Collin hissed under their breath.

"Is this the piece of shit you really want to be with?"

Hee looked at Makenna, clearly upset about the situation,
"What is your problem? You avoid everyone and then come back and judge us."

"I'm not judging everyone, just your bad choice in...boys."

Kent sat up like he was trying to prove something but Hee had her attention.

"I don't need your help to make choices for me."

"If you're with him after what he's done, you clearly do."

"That's where we're different," Hee said, "I stay when things get tough and try to make it work, and you...you just run the other way and pretend like it was never there in the first place."

Makenna looked at the others and the look on their faces was a clear indication that they all thought the same thing. She had never been called out like that before and she could've easily shaken it off. But her conscience was very unsettled about letting it go, so she clung to it.

"Thank you for pointing that out," Makenna said, "But I would rather run than wait and get into something so toxic you'll be just as damaged as he is when it's over. I really hope for your sake that it's a when and not an if."

Makenna got up, knowing she wasn't needed there,
"See you later, Brandon."

Brandon nodded and she was gone.

Run.
The word popped into her head as she walked away.

Just a quick reminder that I'm off socials till the end of March

Just a quick reminder that I'm off socials till the end of March. So, if you're subscribed or following me on any of my socials and notice that I haven't posted anything for a few weeks, that's why.

But, I'm creating content for when I'm back which includes booktoks for the Broken series. So, do follow and get ready for when I get back. (Direct links --->)

Also, if you haven't heard my new single - 25 (What It Feels Like) - do check it out. It's streaming on all platforms. If you're 25 or turning 25, you can use the sound on Instagram and tag me, I'd love to see them and share them. ❤️