Chapter 10

The air in Rajveer's office crackled with a tension thicker than the mahogany desk that separated him from his brother, Manveer. Papers lay scattered across the surface, victims of the heated argument that had erupted moments before.

"This deal is a disaster waiting to happen, Raj," Manveer spat, his voice laced with a frustration that mirrored the scowl etched on his face. "The Singh Corporation? They're notorious for cutting corners and missing deadlines!"

Rajveer leaned back in his chair, steepling his fingers in a display of practiced composure. "I understand your concerns, Manveer, but Singh Corporation's offer is simply too good to ignore. The cost savings alone would allow us to—"

"Cost savings that will come back to bite us in the you-know-what when the project inevitably falls behind schedule and over budget!" Manveer interrupted, his voice rising in volume. "Bairya Constructions doesn't build shoddy structures, Raj. Cutting corners is not our way."

Rajveer's jaw clenched. He respected Manveer's passion for the family business, but his impulsiveness often clouded his judgment. "No one's suggesting we build shoddy structures," he countered, his voice low and dangerous. "However, in this competitive market, we need to be strategic. Singh Corporation is offering a competitive edge, and we can't afford to simply dismiss it."

"There's a difference between strategic and reckless, Raj," Manveer argued, his voice dropping to a frustrated sigh. "Remember the Oberoi project? We barely salvaged our reputation after their shoddy work caused those delays."

Rajveer winced at the memory. The Oberoi project had been a black mark on Bairya Constructions' otherwise impeccable record. But times had changed. The construction industry was booming, competition was fierce, and Singh Corporation's offer was undeniably attractive.

"We learned from Oberoi," Rajveer said, his voice firm. "This time, we'll have stricter quality control measures in place. We can't let fear of past mistakes paralyze us, Manveer."

Manveer's blue eyes held a steely glint. "And what about the fear of tarnishing the Bairya legacy? What happens if this gamble blows up in our faces? Can you stomach the thought of the industry whispering about Bairya cutting corners?"

Rajveer remained silent, the weight of Manveer's words settling heavily in his stomach. The Bairya name was synonymous with quality and integrity. Could he, in good conscience, risk that reputation on a gamble?

A tense silence stretched between them, broken only by the rhythmic tick of the grandfather clock in the corner. The argument had shifted from the specifics of the deal to a deeper clash of philosophies. Rajveer, the strategist, saw opportunity in the cutthroat world of construction. Manveer, the guardian, prioritized the Bairya legacy above all else.

Finally, Rajveer broke the silence. "Let's not make a hasty decision," he said, his voice calmer now. "I'll schedule a meeting with Singh Corporation representatives. We'll hear them out, assess their capabilities, and then decide."

Manveer's scowl softened slightly, a flicker of agreement crossing his features. "Fine," he conceded. "But don't just listen to their sweet talk, Raj. Go in there with a critical eye."

Rajveer nodded. "Of course. And you're welcome to join the meeting. Two sets of eyes are always better than one."

Manveer gave a reluctant nod, a hint of a grudging respect flickering in his eyes. Despite their differences, they were still brothers, bound by loyalty and a shared responsibility for the family business.

As Manveer rose to leave, he paused at the doorway. "Just remember, Raj," he said, his voice sincere, "cutting corners might save you money in the short term, but it can cost you your reputation in the long run."