Chapter 3

Yun Tian could not keep his eyes off of the spirit, an uneasy feeling settling in the midst of his stomach. He and Shang Wu walked behind Qing Yu, who kept a close distance behind the spirit.

They emerged from the garden that separated the main palace from its smaller counterparts. Servants, maids and errand boys hastened to move out of the concubine's path. One girl who was carrying a basket filled to the brim with freshly cleaned clothes pressed herself so hard against the wall Yun Tian thought she'd merge right with it.

Two other errand boys who rounded the corner, both carrying small pouches for their letters, turned on their heels at the sight of the spirit, deciding to take a longer path if it meant they could avoid the man overall.

"Have them redo the fish, Qing Yu. The meat is no longer fresh at this state." Bai Li's voice jolted Shang Wu at his side. The shorter male cast a glance at Yun Tian who shrugged his shoulder in response.

"I had instructed them to keep the fish fresh in the kitchens until you arrived, my Lord. I'd fear her majesty would have kept you much longer than she already had." Qing Yu responded smoothly. The spirit was tall, already towering above most of the servants they passed. Yun Tian guessed that if he stood close enough the spirit would reach up to his eyes.

"You never fail to satisfy me, Qing Yu." Bai Li responded and for some reason, the sentence sounded like an insult towards him and his companion. It was clear their arrival was not a welcome one. Not that Yun Tian was looking forward to being a concubine's guard, either. His work laid back in his family's estate, far from the palace walls.

Finally, they seemed to have reached the little palace. Servants bowed lowed towards Bai Li as he passed while the outer guards remained tight and upright in their positions. Yun Tian glanced back at the arched entrance as they walked across the main bridge. Apart from the guards at the entrance, only servants and maids can be seen roaming around the halls.

"Yun Tian." Shang Wu whispered, drawing his attention down to the pond they were crossing. Golden carps swam leisurely beneath the crystal clear waters, their scales reflecting the sunlight, their bodies the size of his forearms. If sold, these carps could easily feed a big village.

"The rumours of him being the Empress's favourite must be true." Shang Wu continued to speak in a hushed tone. "No wonder the Emperor despises him, these carps could cover me for life."

"Watch your tongue." Yun Tian warned though his eyes stayed on the healthy carps. They were the biggest he'd ever seen. "It'd be best for you to not speak of the Emperor at all for the time we'll spend within these walls, even the grass and birds bend to his will."

"Don't be absurd." Shang Wu retorted, but casted a suspicious glance towards a few birds sitting in the nearby trees.

The little palace, though not as grand, contained just as much luxury and elegance as the main palace. Yun Tian looked around discreetly, memorising the turns and ways they took to get to the spirit's chambers. Here, the walls were painted a darker red, curtains the shades of blood.

Qing Yu quickened his steps and passed the spirit, pushing open the doors to its main chambers as he bowed. Bai Li passed and seeing as Qing Yu remained holding the door open, Yun Tian followed, Shang Wu close behind his tail as they both bowed appreciatively back towards the blind swordsman.

Bai Li had flopped down onto a chair beside the opened window, the spirit sighed, dropping his head back slightly and closing his eyes. With the golden irises hidden, he looked like a painting.

Yun Tian placed his hand on his sword and bowed, Shang Wu following his lead. "I apologise for the intrusion, imperial consort. If I had known we would be given such an honourable position, the Tian house would have prepared gifts to your liking. I am Yun Tian, the eldest son of the Tian family and this is my most trusted companion Shang Wu. If you need anything at all, we are at your service."