Chapter 5

The spirit concubine's way of enjoying mortal markets was by sitting in the inner courtyard pavilion while his maidservants presented the different robes and silks they had found after their trips.

Yun Tian stood to Qing Yu's right (who remained standing right behind his master) as Shang Wu took guard on his left. The spirit himself was seated on the floor in front of a low dark wooden table. He had one knee propped up, an arm resting on that knee as the other rested on his lap. Bai Li's head was slightly cocked, his stare unmoving as the maid servants hurriedly and efficiently placed chests after chests of clothes in front of him.

There was one maid however, who stood tall and held her chin high despite being in the spirit's presence. She did not dress commonly like the others but her clothes were adorned with patterns worn by nobility. Jewels and pins in her hair. Yun Tian recognised the crest pinned to her robes that belonged to the Lin family.

Lady Lin looked to be Shang Wu's age, which made Yun Tian believe that her confidence did not come from life experience but rather the pride of her bloodline.

"These silks were bought from the highest of qualities, worn by the nobles and high ranking officials." Young Lady Lin spoke. She had the grace and gentle voice most noblewomen taught themselves to have. But her eyes were determined and hardened, fierce as they met Bai Li's.

Yun Tian felt as if the Young Lady had prepared herself for war instead of the mere task of presenting clothing.

A maid servant stepped forward with a white robe in her hand. With swiftness she fluttered it against the wind and presented it to the spirit, holding the top of each sleeve with her hands so that the robe would flow down to its full length.

It was beautiful. Pure white complimented by the stitching of multiple dragons. The dragons themselves were grey, slithering across the hems. The material even looked thin and light, matching the ones the spirit was currently wearing.

"And where is the hair piece?" Bai Li asked, cutting the silence.

Lady Lin turned her sharp, demanding eyes towards a group of three maidservants at the back who were opening smaller chests and stacking them in ways that all the pins and jewels inside would be visible from the front. The maid in the middle quickly rummaged through the chest before straightening up and walking swiftly forward.

She bowed slightly, presenting the hair pin against her palm. It was stunning, a perfect match for the robes presented. A steel pin with white flowers, petals designed to look like snow and in the middle sat red gleaming little beads.

Bai Li took his arm off of his knee and reached forward. Yun Tian saw the maid's throat constrict in effort to not make a sound as the spirit delicately picked up the hair pin in her hand. Bai Li brought it closer, holding it by the tip and dangling the jewel in front of his eyes like a cat would do to a mouse.

Lady Lin did not need to hear any response, she turned back to the two remaining maids and signalled sharply with her hand. The two maids immediately started to dig for another hair piece.

Bai Li, either oblivious or unbothered, turned the hair piece in front of him curiously. "Such pretty things, it is a miracle to think this was made by the hands of a mortal." The spirit mumbled, before tapping the pad of his fingers against its point as if to test its sharpness.

Making out a small 'hm' like noise Bai Li wrapped his fingers around the hairpin before harshly stabbing it into the table in front of him. Yun Tian's hand reflexively went to the hilt of his sword and he saw Shang Wu stepped forward at the corner of his eyes. Even the maid servants jumped, some merely flincing as if they expected this. The only people unphased were Lady Lin and Qing Yu who remained poised in their positions.