Chapter 6 - New Third Civilization Area

Start from the beginning

Japan, a nation located further east than the Thearchy of Gahara, beyond the civilized areas.

I am now aboard a ship from Japan. It is a mechanical vessel made of metal, even larger than the magic ships-of-the-line. They were also aboard mechanical vessels when they invaded Esthirant. I was alarmed, thinking it was Mu who had come to attack, but upon learning the details, a fierce anger welled up from the depths of my being. It was because the Oversight Force dispatched by the Third Foreign Affairs Bureau was repelled, and moreover, it was done by the Japanese right in front of us.

Furthermore, when I inquired about Japan in detail, I was told that it was just an uncivilized foreign country. It's inconceivable that a mere uncivilized nation could build such mechanical vessels. They must have become so arrogant as to boldly oppose the Empire, able to repel the Oversight Force, all because they had the backing of Mu. That's what I thought, and when I met with diplomats, their audacious attitude seemed to confirm my suspicions. I felt anger, but more than that, I felt pity for their misunderstanding, given the power that didn't suit them, and foolishly thinking themselves mighty. That's probably why they even boasted of building their own mechanical vessels, a bluff that had no basis in reality.

Looking at them, I reaffirmed that the rule through fear was indeed correct. And then, the invasion of Fenn, initiated by His Majesty's command, led to an unexpected outcome: the capture of Japanese people. And as usual, I made an example of them. From their attitude in Esthirant, I didn't expect them to show submission immediately, but it was beyond my expectations for them to not only refrain from insults but also come to us with surrender demands. No matter how many weapons Mu possesses, there is an overwhelming difference in national power between great powers and barbaric nations. I've never laughed so loud since then. As usual, one barbaric nation fell, and the demand for surrender became a comedy of misunderstanding among the doomed barbarians. That was what I thought until I heard the news of the Imperial Army's defeat.

I was enraged by the fact that they had besmirched the great Empire and opposed it, but more importantly, the stability of the Empire's rule was at stake. Rule through fear cannot function if the source of fear is destroyed. The source of fear in the Empire lay in its mighty military force. If even a part of it is broken, the recognition that the Imperial Army is not invincible will spread, and the unintelligent barbarians will start unnecessary battles. This would only distance the world's peace from His Majesty's envisioned ideal. As long as Japan, with its experience of defeating the Imperial Army, exists, the recognition that the Empire is not an unbeatable opponent will not disappear. To counteract that perception, Japan itself must be eradicated at all costs. That's why I proposed a campaign of annihilation.

His Majesty seemed to share the same idea, and a declaration of annihilation was issued in His Majesty's name. That was good, but there were concerns. Considering the reason why the Japanese could defeat the Imperial Army, there was no other explanation than that they had used Mu's weapons. If we were to continue fighting Japan as we are now, the Imperial Army would probably win, but the extent of the damage is unpredictable once they get serious. We cannot afford to suffer great losses again in order to instill fear once more. His Majesty was aware of this, and I was ordered, along with the Third Foreign Affairs Bureau, to stop the support from Mu.

However, the Muish ambassador who responded to the summons asserted that the weapons of Japan were not made by Mu but by Japan itself, and were superior to those of Mirishial. The words of an ambassador from a great power were too weighty to be those of a barbaric nation's diplomat. Looking back, even the diplomats I had dealt with before were different from those of other barbarian tribes. Their behavior, the things they wore, the contents of the materials they handed over, even down to the quality of the paper. And above all, they demonstrated a high ability to capture and showcase a magic ship-of-the-line without sinking a single one, boasting their power. However, the Empire's stance as the pinnacle overlooked all of this.