Chapter 2 - Crossroads

Start from the beginning

The 2nd Fleet, comprising a total of twelve ships, faced four derelict ships prepared as targets.

"Sword King, the Japanese vessels will soon commence their attack on the hulks."

Shihan himself had requested the Japanese diplomats to "demonstrate their power," and now he focused his eyes to witness their response. Among the twelve ships, the missile cruiser Atago moved forward. She stopped and aligned her aim, but the distance to the targets was four kilometers.

"Are they really going to attack that far away? Our most powerful warship Sword God would hardly reach such a distance."

Even the military officials observing from the coast murmured in confusion at the Atago's confusing actions.

"Well... considering the distance, perhaps they intend to approach the ships first," Magreb speculated.

Immediately after, the main gun erupted in flames.

Boom... Boom... Boom... Boom...

The sound of cannons echoed four times, and each of the four hulks was sunk with a single hit.

"This... leaves one speechless. How formidable..."

"That's crazy!"

"Unbelievable...!"

As the enormous water sprays rose and the debris scattered into the sky, Shihan and the Fennese leaders groaned. It was a showcase of unparalleled precision and rate of fire with no room for error.

'Not even the Parpaldia Empire of the great powers could achieve something like that.'

"We must promptly begin preparations for establishing diplomatic relations with Japan. Of course, not only a non-aggression treaty but if possible, we should secure a security treaty as well," Shihan declared with a broad smile.

Meanwhile, the Atago's radar detected flying objects approaching from the west: 20 wyvern lords belonging to the Parpaldian Oversight Force's Eastern Fleet.

The Fennese had refused the offer from the Third Foreign Affairs Bureau—a Parpaldian foreign affairs agency—about territorial cessation and even their alternative proposal of a 498-year lease. Feeling their dignity slighted, the Third Foreign Affairs Bureau mobilized the Oversight Force as a punitive measure and decided to attack on the day of the military festival, also intending to make an example to neighboring countries. And now, the wyvern lords aimed to deliver that blow had reached the skies above Amanoki.

This was to show the barbarians outside the civilized world the fate of a foolish nation that dared to defy the Empire, and to make them aware that simply associating with such fools would make them targets of attack. Thus, while reminding people about how fearsome the Empire was, the Parpaldians aimed to isolate the Fennese.

However, even they faced opponents they couldn't contend with.

As three wind dragons also flying above Amanoki turned their gaze, the wyvern lords, like a frog eyed by a snake, cowered and avoided the wind dragons.

"Leave the Gaharans alone! Aim for the castle and... okay, attack that white ship!" the unit commander issued his orders with a pained expression.

Splitting into two groups as instructed, they each made a rapid descent towards their respective targets.

"What's this demonstration?"

The moment everyone on the ground thought so, the wyvern lords opened their mouths and began forming fireballs.

"This is bad, everyone, get out of here!"