Chapter 21

Caitlan's POV:

I've been mum's junior assistant for over a year. I'm loving it! I easily balance both my assistant duties and school work. I get to sit in staff meetings and make notes - all staff members know I'm trustworthy and that I won't break the rules (yes even Ms Trumble trusts me ... although she still dislikes me and mum, which we reciprocate).

I've kept in touch with Cleo, Rikki, Emma and Lewis - we have each others numbers. I haven't been to the JuiceNet but they've joined me and my friends at the Ocean Cafe a couple of times. Evie, Carly, Zac, Cam and David know that I love them most though and nobody compares to them.

I'm sat in mum's office. "I've been asked to attend a Beach Volleyball game between Southcoast and Goldcoast tomorrow. I've already spoke to your teachers, they all are happy for you to come with me, since you're ahead" mum smiled.

Goldcoast High are unbeatable when it comes to Beach Volleyball. Our schools do get on though, unlike us and Southcoast.

Me and mum got to the beach, Goldcoast girls were practicing. I heard my name being shouted. I turned around and saw Cleo, Emma, Rikki, Lewis and a redhead that I didn't recognise. "What are you doing here?" Rikki smiled. "My mum got asked to attend, I'm her junior assistant and was able to come along with her." I replied and the redhead put her hand out and said "Charlotte Watsford. You must be Caitlan Santos - I've actually heard a lot about you." I smiled and shook her hand. "Anyway, good luck guys" I said and stood with mum.

Goldcoast were crushing Southcoast.  One of them spiked the ball into Charlotte. "You didn't have to do it so hard!" Cleo shouted. "That must've hurt" I cringed. Mum put her arm around me and I rested my head on her shoulder.

The ball flew out from the Southcoast side of the net, but then it flew back in. "Mum did you see that?" I whispered. "Yes darling." Me and mum looked at each other panicky. "You don't think-?" I started, but we saw Cleo control the wind. "They fell in the Moon Pool. They're obviously not part of a pod. Land girls" mum whispered.

The ball went in the water, Emma asked Goldcoast if they were going to dry the ball. "Definitely mermaids" I mumbled to mum. Charlotte hit the ball and got wet, then ran in the water.

I wanted to go talk to Cleo, Emma and Rikki,  but I wasn't going to blow mine and mum's cover. The referee was getting annoyed waiting for Charlotte, but thankfully she showed up.

The Southcoasters kicked Goldcoast High's butt, eventually when they stopped cheating. Cleo beckoned me over. I looked at mum. "Go ahead sweetheart" she smiled. I ran over to Cleo, Emma, Rikki and Charlotte and they involved me in the group hug.

When we got home later, I fancied a swim. "Am I okay to go for a small swim to Mako?" I asked mum. "Of course baby girl. I've got a bit of work to do anyway. Be careful" mum smiled and I gave her a kiss and went for a swim.

I saw my dolphin and shark friends on the way to Mako and they joined me on the journey. They always stick with me when I'm alone in the water, they like to make sure I'm safe.

I felt like singing for a bit. "Though I'm far away, across the sea, this moon keeps haunting me... As I spread my wings,
and soar above, it's you, you're guiding me..."

When I finished the verse, I saw four creatures enter the pool. Four mermaids. Rikki, Cleo, Emma and Charlotte. "Y-you fell in the Moon Pool too?" Cleo stuttered. Nope, I was born a mermaid. "Yeah." I panicked. "How long have you been a mermaid?" Rikki asked. "I was ten. Me and my friends came camping on Mako one night. I got lost and fell through a hole, the only way out was the pool which started bubbling from the full moon. The next day I had a tail. It's been hard hiding it from my mum" I stammered. "What are your powers?" Emma asked. "I have several" I shrugged. "You're a super mermaid like me!" Charlotte enthusiastically said. "There's no such thing as super mermaids. You need to learn to control your powers so you don't expose yourself." I warned Charlotte and the other three side eyed her, as though they'd already tried telling her that. "Show us your powers!" Charlotte changed the subject and said it quite rude. I made a bubble out of the water, I froze it and then boiled it. "We can do that!" Rikki said. I made another bubble, flicked my wrist and it turned to fireworks. I then created a storm in the Moon Pool, I pictured the clouds, the rain and the lightning. The other four's mouths dropped. "How did you learn all that?" Emma asked suspiciously. "I taught myself" I shrugged. "You are a super mermaid!" Charlotte exclaimed. "Anyway, I've got homework to do and my mum will wonder where I am. I'll see you around." I smiled and swum out into the ocean. I swum fast and stopped halfway and made myself invisible. I just had a feeling that they'd try following me.

I was right, not even a couple minutes later they were looking for me. The sharks saw them from a distance and they created a diversion for me to swim home.

Rita's POV:

I'm sat in the Grotto, checking my potion ingredients when I heard Caitlan run in. I turned around and she was in tears. "Mummy I'm sorry" she sobbed. I wrapped my arms around her and we sat down. "What for darling?" I asked confused. "The mermaids from the volleyball game. They turned up at Mako. They don't know that I was born a mermaid, they think that I fell in the Moon Pool like them. They wanted to see my powers, I showed them the Hydrokinesis, and the fireworks and the storm. They don't know you're a mermaid they think you don't know that I'm one. I've let you down. Mummy I'm so sorry" Caitlan sobbed her heart out. "Caity, breathe for me baby girl." I wiped her tears. "You covered for me darling. I may not be thrilled that you were exposed, but those girls will probably feel like that they can't be exposed either. You haven't let me down at all. You could never ever let me down sweetheart. Covering for me was really brave" I held my Caitlan's face in my hands and rested my head against hers. "They got suspicious though after I made  up a story that I was camping on Mako and fell in the Moon Pool. I made myself invisible halfway home and saw them trying to search and follow me. The sharks made a distraction for me though so I could get home. I hope you're not angry with me mum." Caitlan panicked slightly. "Caitlan, my little starfish. I have never been angry with you. Of course I'm not sweetheart" I wrapped my arms around her protectively and she cuddled into me. "If I can help them to control their powers better I will mum, but I'd never bring them to the Grotto or our home. I won't let my school commitments fail though. My priorities are being your assistant, your daughter, being a good friend to my besties and of course still getting top grades" Caitlan smiled through her tears. "Top grades or not, I'll always be proud of you baby. And I trust you with helping the girls. I couldn't think of anyone better." I kissed my darling girl's forehead. "I can. I learnt from the best" Caitlan smiled and kissed my cheek. I'm not completely happy that Caitlan was exposed, it wasn't her fault though but her choice not to blow my cover was very responsible of her. If those girls do anything to expose my little starfish though, even if I blow my own cover, I won't be responsible for my actions. Like I've said many times, my Caitlan is and always will be worth that risk!

That's this chapter guys, hope y'all like the wee crossover!