Chapter 3

Rita's POV:

I've been a Mummy for a week. One whole week of loving my little girl. My Caitlan is oh so tiny. We're sat in the Grotto having a cuddle. "I still can't believe you're mine, my darling." I whispered. Caitlan's tiny hand was wrapped around my finger, I smiled and then looked at my two framed photos: the photo of me and Harry, and the photo of me and Caitlan when she was born.

I got my Teaching Degree a while before I found out I was pregnant. Harry was so proud that day. Before I left the pod, I was an Elder with Veridia, teaching the hatchlings. Then of course I was given the ultimatum between mermaid life, or Harry. I don't regret my choice one bit, because if I had stayed with the pod, I wouldn't have my baby girl in my arms right now.

I loved doing my work experience in the schools too, from painting with the kids, to reading them stories. I hope that I can get a job as a teacher eventually. Maybe when Caitlan is slightly older - as much as I love children, the one that means everything to me and has my entire heart is asleep in my arms.

An idea had hit me. I laid Caitlan in her baby basket in the living room, just whilst I carried her pram outside and down the steps. I could hear her crying her heart out - she hates being away from me, it broke my heart. I ran back inside and instantly scooped my little girl up. "It's ok baby, mummy's here." I whispered and Caitlan instantly calmed.

Me and Caitlan went to the store, I got some paints and paper. I had a few people stopping me to take a look at Caitlan, I got told how gorgeous she is - which I knew of course, she's my baby!

When we got home, I gave Caitlan her feed - mermaids breastfeed their hatchlings until they're one years old, from 6 months onwards we mush up seafood for our babies - until they're capable of eating the food whole. Whilst I fed Caitlan, I began to think about becoming a teacher one day. If I'm a teacher whilst my Caitlan is still little, would I be able to bring her to work with me? I wouldn't want to just leave her at land school, alone. The only mermaid - and what if she got wet and we became exposed?

After Caitlan had her feed, I got the paints and the paper. I put a small amount of paint on Caitlan's hands and feet and made imprints on the paper, I then painted my hands and feet and imprinted them next to Caitlan's. I got a pen and wrote "Caitlan and Mummy" - whilst the paint dries, I think a swim is in order for me and my little beauty.

I slid into the pool with Caitlan in my arms, and we transformed. I rested Caitlan on my arms and gently moved her about in the water.

When mermaids need air, thankfully we can't lose our breath or drown underwater - we just fall asleep until we reach the surface so I'm going to take Caitlan for a small swim in the ocean - I'll be keeping her close to my chest the whole time and although I can swim extremely fast, I don't want to hurt her so I'll be swimming quite slow.

When we got into the open water, I saw a pod of dolphins happily swimming and a couple of sharks. I gently planted a kiss on Caitlan's head before swimming to the seabed - seeing what treasures I'll find today.

I saw two shells that looked alike, one tiny and the other larger - I collected them and I saw a seahorse necklace that resembled mine, I picked that up as a gift for my Caitlan when she's older. I looked at Caitlan and she was fast asleep, I think that's my cue for us to head back.

As soon as we got out the pool, Caitlan woke up. "Hey there beautiful." I smiled and got us dried and converted back to human form.

Back in the Grotto, I placed the two shells with my other shells in my collection and found a small gift box to put the seahorse necklace in. I came across an empty photo album, it was going to be for mine and Harry's wedding. I decided to decorate the front with some shells and wrote 'Caitlan'. I took the photo of me and Caitlan out of the frame and used my moon ring to duplicate it. I put the original back in its frame and stuck the replica in the album. I smiled and then cuddled Caitlan against my chest. "You and me baby girl." I whispered. I checked the hand and footprint painting and it was completely dry, so I hung it up on the Grotto wall. I'm going to make it a tradition that me and Caitlan make handprints and foot prints each year, and each painting will get hung up.

I carried Caitlan onto the balcony and we sat watching the sunset. Caitlan had her dummy in her mouth as she slowly fell asleep. "I wish you could stay this small forever sweetheart. Mummy's little starfish." I whispered.

Although Caitlan is a week old, she just doesn't settle in her crib. So she stays in my bed with me. I don't mind of course. I gently laid her down on the bed and I got in my side and propped myself up and just watched my baby girl snooze away. I stroked her cheek and kissed her head. I'm so so lucky to be her mummy.

That's chapter 3! I hope y'all like it