Chapter 11

Caitlan's POV:
Me and mummy are back at land school today. Loads of people complain about school, but I love it. Both land and mermaid schools. Maybe it's because I love to learn and I get to stay with mum. What can I say? I'm a mummy's girl, at home and at school. Thankfully, mum is a favourite teacher of everyone's at school so when it's lunch time, me, Evie, Zac, David, Carly and Cam always invites mum to sit with us.

Rita's POV:
Caitlan is holding my hand as we walk to school. "You okay sweetheart?" I asked and Caitlan smiled up and nodded.

We got to school and Caitlan's friends instantly ran up to us. The five of them engulfed Caitlan into a group hug. "Can't breathe!" Caitlan gasped and they all laughed. "Right sweetheart, I'm off to set up. I'll see you when class starts." I smiled, gave Caitlan a kiss and went to the classroom.

The bell rang and everyone came in. "Morning everyone." I smiled as everyone sat down. "Morning Miss Santos" Everyone cheerfully replied, I could tell they were glad that I'm back - don't get me wrong, so am I but as much as I love to teach, my baby girl is always my number one priority.

All my students are incredibly bright, Cam is slightly behind but still a very smart student; but my class is a smart bunch, I'm not just saying that because my daughter is one of the brightest. "Okay, today we're going to start off with some two times tables. Some of us struggled last time, so let's try a different approach. Who here likes chocolate?" Everyone put their hand up, Caitlan hasn't really had chocolate - we mainly stick to seafood. But she put her hand up because I think she didn't want her classmates to judge her. "If I have four chocolate bars, and buy another four, how many would I have?" It took everyone a couple minutes to work it out but everyone shouted 8. We did a few more questions which everyone got the hang of.

Before lunch, I helped the kids with their reading and writing skills. Caitlan went outside with everyone else, I grabbed our lunches and took them outside. I gave Caitlan hers and she thanked me. I smiled and put my hand on her head before I started to find a seat, then I heard Evie say "do you want to sit with us Miss Santos?" I turned around and smiled and asked "only if you want me to?" I mainly looked at Caitlan, but her, Evie, Carly, Zac, David and Cam all smiled and said yeah. So I sat in the seat next to Caitlan, who rested her head on my shoulder. "Usually, Caitlan - if  a student's mum was their teacher, they'd be embarrassed to have them sit  with their friends." I smiled and Caitlan and her friends laughed. "Yeah but I'm no ordinary girl." She smirked. "Besides, you're an amazing teacher Miss Santos." Zac smiled. "Aww, thank you." I replied. "What are we doing in PE this afternoon, Miss Santos?" Cam asked. "We're going to be doing dodgeball." I smiled.

After lunch, I went to the staff changing room to get changed and the students went to get changed too then we headed to the gym. "So before we start, there's a dodgeball competition coming up between our school and South Coast Primary. We need six students, would anyone be interested?" I asked. I saw Caitlan and her friends look around, nobody put their hands up - so the six of them instantly raised theirs. "I should have known." I winked at them.   "Okay team captains for today: Zac and Veronica." Both students stood up and chose their teams. To no surprise, Zac had Caitlan, Evie, Cam, David and Carly on his team.

Everyone had fun playing dodgeball. Afterwards, it wasn't long until the end of the day so we read a story.

At the end of the day, Caitlan always waits for me to finish before I leave; sometimes there's staff meetings which Caitlan sits outside the room whilst the meeting is in progress. Thankfully, no meetings today. "Okay sweetheart, looks like we're ready to go" Caitlan happily held my hand as we walked off school grounds. "You didn't get upset when I didn't choose you as a team captain did you sweetheart?" I asked her. Caitlan looked up at me with a big smile. "No mummy of course not. I know you can't show favouritism at school, so it's ok." I scooped Caitlan up in my arms and carried her. "We both know you'll always be my favourite though, my little starfish." I whispered and kissed her cheek. "I know mummy." She kissed my cheek back.