Chapter 15

Caitlan's POV:
I'm swimming in the sea, mum has started to let me swim on my own - but as long as I don't go far. I wanna see if I can find something special for her.

On my swim, I bumped into Aunty Veridia. "What are you doing in the open ocean alone, angelfish?" She asked. I think she knows not to call me starfish because that's what mum calls me. "I wanna look for something special for mum." I smiled slightly. "Tell you what, meet me back here shortly. I've got an idea" Veridia said. "As long as you don't use it to try to persuade me to convince mum for us to come back to the pod" I said firmly. Veridia smiled "Wow you are your mother's daughter. Fine. Agreed"

I was swimming with a couple of sharks when Veridia came back. "Here you go" she passed me a small box, inside was a heart shaped locket with two photo slots. "How-?" I started to ask. "I've been saving some of that land dweller money over the years. I bought it at one of those stores." Veridia said. "Why do you break the mermaid rules for me? Like the other year you were at my dodgeball game. You're doing exactly what you banished mum for" I asked suspicious. "Because I was there when you were born. I want to be there for you. And nobody in the mermaid world has found out, and if they did - as the Head of the Mermaid Council nobody dares to question me. And the feud is between me and your mother, it wouldn't be fair to put you in the middle." Wow I wasn't expecting that. I hugged Veridia and went back.

Back in the Grotto, I hid the locket. I then continued with Evie's birthday present - today's her 12th birthday and she's having a party! I've made her a scrap book of our friendship over the years, and photos with Carly, Cam, Zac and David. I've put in plenty of blank pages too for her to fill out in the years to come. Mum then came in the Grotto. "How was your swim sweetheart?" She asked. "I enjoyed it. Swam with a couple sharks" I smiled. "Sounds fun. I need to head into work for a bit. Will you be okay walking to Evie's?" "Yeah of course mum. Is everything ok?" Mum seemed abit angsty. "I'm thinking of applying to become Principal. But I don't know" she was really nervous. "Go for it mum! You'll be brilliant" I encouraged. "What would students think of you though? Being the principal's daughter." I cut mum off "screw what anyone thinks. Mum you've sacrificed so much for me over the years. Take the shot. It's always been and will always be you and me against both worlds" I held mum's hands to reassure her and she wrapped her arms around me. "I'd sacrifice it all over again for you my little starfish. You're always my number one" she then saw the scrap book. "Evie is going to love this. I should be back by the time the party finishes so I can pick you up. Have fun. Love you sweetheart." I gave mum a kiss and said "love you too mummy."

I wrapped Evie's scrap book and her card, and an idea hit me. I got the locket out and I went to Mum's jewellery box to get the moon ring. I'll duplicate the two photos of mum and dad, and me and mum when I was born and make them fit the locket. I got the shell holding the three moon rings (two of which are mums). No I can't be reckless. I can't risk damaging the photos and I shouldn't be using this type of magic without mum being here. I can't betray or hurt her trust like that. I put the shell back and hid the locket again.

I headed to Evie's house. Her party was in her large yard. "Happy Birthday Evie" I smiled as I handed her her card and present. "Thank you Cait" she took them and hugged me. Zac then arrived and gave Evie her gifts off him. I can tell they both like each other, but they're both too shy to say anything.

I was standing with Zac. "Zac we've known each other since we were in nappies. We've been friends for like forever, right?" I smiled. "Yeah of course. You're like my sister" Zac smiled back. "And I see you as a brother; I can tell you and Evie like each other. Go for it" I encouraged him. "But what if she doesn't-?" He got nervous. "Zac Blakely. She is just as smitten with you as you are with her. Trust me" I told him. Zac went over to Evie and after a few minutes, they had their first kiss. Zac ran over to me and gave me a hug. "Told ya so! Think ya can let me breathe again?" We all laughed and enjoyed the party.

Rita's POV:
The Board chose me to be Principal! It was between me and Ms Trumble, I still can't believe it.

I needed to pick Caitlan up from the McLaren residence, so I headed there on the way home. The party was just about finished anyway and it was just Caitlan, Evie, Zac, Carly, Cam and David sitting down. Caitlan waved to me as I came over. "Happy birthday Evie" I smiled. "Thank you Miss Santos" Evie smiled back. The Blakely's arrived to pick up Zac. "Congratulations on becoming Principal of Suncoast High, Rita" Rob congratulated. "You got the job mum?" Caitlan asked excited. "I certainly did" I winked at her, she ran into my arms and gave me a massive hug. "Well done Miss Santos" Evie and Carly said together. "Thank you, anyway Caitlan sweetheart. You ready to go home?" I asked. "Yep. Bye Evie thanks for the invite" Caitlan gave Evie a hug. "Thank you for coming and thank you for my scrap book and for helping me and Zac get together" "You took long enough" Caitlan laughed; as did everyone else.

When we got home, we went straight to the Grotto. "I'm so proud of you mummy" Caitlan beamed a big smile. She then went and got something, I couldn't see what it was. "I wanted to wait to give this to you, but I want you to have it now." She handed me a small box and inside was a heart locket. "Oh, darling it's beautiful. Thank you. But how-?" I started but Caitlan cut me off "I bumped into Aunty Veridia and told her I wanted to get you something special. She said she'd been saving land dweller money for a while and she bought it for me. But I told her that I'd only accept her help as long as she doesn't try to get me to try to persuade you that we rejoin the pod. She agreed." Caitlan shrugged. "And I was tempted to use a moon ring to duplicate the photo of you and daddy, and the one of you and me when I was born. But I didn't want to hurt your trust or break anything." Caitlan seemed upset. "Sweetheart. You don't need to be upset about it, you've just proven to me that you more than deserve your moon ring after the next full moon - you've shown control" I'm so proud. Caitlan's face beamed up. "Really? I'm the youngest mermaid ever to get my moon ring?" She got really excited bless her. "You certainly are. You've been doing well in our training and you're ready. Well done baby." I kissed her head and she gave me a cuddle. "Thanks mum. I know you haven't worn your moon ring in years since you left the pod before you had me; only when you helped me train. I'll keep my moon ring with yours" Caitlan said. "Are you sure sweetheart?" I asked. "Positive mummy" Cait said proudly. I then got my moon ring and used it to duplicate the locket and the photos - I put the moon ring away and used my powers to shrink the photos into the locket frames. I put mine on and then the second one I put around Caitlan's neck. "You didn't have to do that mum - thank you" she said tearfully. "I wanted to baby girl. We've got matching lockets and we both have your daddy always with us." I wiped her tears away, before wiping my own. I then cast a spell on the lockets so that only mine and Caitlan's powers can open them. My darling girl showed a lot of responsibility today, I'm so proud of her.

Okay guys that's this chapter. Hope y'all like it!