Hope

Every step is agony.

Yet, the pain of Undyne's dwindling body can't hold a candle to the heavy dread lingering in her mind. At this very moment, Frisk is alone with that... psycho. Should they lose, then her sacrifice won't matter, and neither will anything achieved in this timeline.

As she trudges across the woods, Undyne ponders if another 'true reset' would really be as bad as everyone thinks. At the very least, she and Alphys could have another chance, blissfully ignorant of the very concept of being separated.

A selfish thought. Besides, while it's over for the heroine, the brilliant scientist still has a very bright future ahead of her- even if the nerd doesn't know it. All Undyne wishes is she could be a part of it.

Shortly after both Frisks vanished, Sans pulled a disappearing act of his own, somehow transporting him and Undyne back into Mirstone Forest. Whatever it was he did, it looked like it damn near killed him, ripping away whatever energy the lazy skeleton had left. Currently, he's out cold, snoring it away in the vast woodland's center.

The heroine always knew both skeletons were weird, but today proved she hadn't even scratched the surface of their bizarre nature.

Speaking of, partway through her exhaustive trek, she stumbled upon a panicked Papyrus, who had many questions regarding the safety of Frisk and his older brother- the latter of which, Undyne could offer some assurance for. In regards to the former, well, the fact they're still here is an indication the stubborn little twerp is still kicking.

Fight on, human. The world needs a new hero.

Papyrus's concern wasn't exclusive to the others. Upon seeing her like this, the skeleton was stunned with worry, but Undyne brushed it off, telling him she'd be fine after some rest. Several things could've clued him to the truth, such as her trembling steps or melting skin. Regardless, he definitely knows, but thankfully didn't push it further, settling on offering some much-needed support.

Arm wrapped around his bony neck, the two good friends made the rest of the hike in total silence. During that time, the sun finally made its triumphant return, shining through the darkness and once again gracing the city and its inhabitants with pure light. Undyne was never a believer in the supernatural, but in her final moments, she can't help but think the brighter change in weather could be a sign of some sort.

Or maybe a statement, brought on by vanquished evil.

Finally, she and Papyrus can see Toriel's house just past a couple of trees. Behind it are its only two remaining occupants- the owner, who lies on her knees, still visibly distraught at the king's passing, and-

"Al...phys," Undyne chokes, not recognizing her own voice.

Both monsters snap in her and Papyrus's direction and they look equally horrified. Undyne can't see so much as she feels her body melting away. The left side of her face is numb, unmovable, and absent of any solidation. Her legs can barely support the weight of the liquefying body they're attached to, seconds from collapse.

"UNDYNE!!" Alphys shrieks, sprinting for her lover.

The two are locked in an embrace almost instantly, tears gushing from behind the scientist's wide reticles. A powerful source of warmth against the cold grip of death, who must be angry at its recent claim's unnaturalistic defiance. Only so long can one delay the inevitable.

"C-come quickly- I'll s-see what's w-wrong, you're going to be-!"

"Don't do that," Undyne smiles, placing an unsteady hand on the monster's shoulder. "You don't have to do that."

"Un... undyne..." she whimpers, her mouth trembling.

"Remember that promise we made?" Undyne loses her vision, globs of flesh blocking her view. "Be happy... with... who you are.... Alphys...."