Determination

It all comes back to Toriel in a sudden flash of memory. She had gotten careless after her first encounter with the vile red knight, and doing so gave her several agonizingly long days without Frisk. Now, she and the others stand only three meters away from the same culprit who cost her, as well as countless worlds, so much suffering.

This time, she won't hold back. Asgore's concentrated glare emanating great resolve tells a similar story. Both of them have made a plethora of mistakes in their impossibly long lifetimes. There will never be a better way to make amends.

"Nice sword," the devil says, eyeing the human standing behind her. "Mine's bigger."

Instinctively, the Boss Monster sidesteps to her left, blocking the knight's view of Frisk; she and Asgore almost act as an outer wall for the others standing behind them. Never did Toriel imagine herself filling in a leadership role after her reign as Queen. It's not a position she particularly welcomes, but it is one she'll accept all the same.

"We know who you are, Frisk," Asgore says in a neutral voice. "Your transgressions against the populations you've terrorized are both plentiful and heinous... but all of us have made mistakes... some of which are unforgivable."

During the last sentence, the king's voice breaks. Pity rules out Toriel's anger, making her reflect on the years of contempt she harbored for the one she used to love. Somewhere in her heart, those feelings of loathing are still alive, and just as strong as they were decades ago. But Asgore is here, trying to do the right thing.

While forgiveness isn't an option, moving on always will be. That's something she'll have to tell him once this nightmare is long over. For now, there are more pressing matters.

"Please, child, turn back," Asgore continues. "No fighting needs to take place. Believe it or not, redemption is still a path that can be walked."

The knight doesn't say anything at first. Instead, they look at Toriel and say:

"And you still think they're real?"

Their question isn't directed at her, but rather the person she is shielding- was shielding. Frisk squeezes between the two Boss Monsters, staring ahead at their doppelganger.

"Yes, I do!" they answer. "Their love is the realest thing I've ever felt."

The knight barely stifles a chuckle.

"LOVE is an acronym. Now that... that is real. Anything else is nothing more than a plaything. My plaything."

They ready their sword.

"It was my hope that your 'family' would reject you- a fitting conclusion to your nonsensical charade. But it seems that I underestimated the limited confines of their behavior. No matter. I'll just take them from you, one by one, until the meaningless fragility of this world is made apparent. Grief, after all, is an effective teacher."

Hearing this makes Toriel sick. The endless depravity of the knight's soul- if you can call it that- astonishes her with a numb bewilderment. How it could possibly be another Frisk underneath that armor eludes the deepest reaches of her imagination.

"Ready, Tori?" Asgore says, his voice barely audible over the pouring rain.

He opens a palm, and within it, a ball of fire ignites. The pouring precipitation hisses on contact, evaporating into steam the moment they get within the dancing flame's reach.

With a single nod, Toriel guides Frisk out of the way, and her fists ignite as well.

"Ready."

This time, Asgore directs his words to their shared opponent.