Chapter 8 - The Hospital Gown

"Gerard's in the hospital."
———————————————————————————

    It was almost 2:55 in the morning. The hospital was dimmed, most patients were asleep, and there were barely any nurses or doctors.

Carrie was sitting on the small armed chair next to the hospital bed, Mikey and Rayne sat on the couch next to her.

"Is Gerard going to be okay?" Mikey asked, worried.

"I think so. They haven't told me everything that's going on." Carrie said, looking over to Gerard who was on high medication, sleeping.

It broke her heart. Seriously. Seeing her nephew in a hospital bed. Almost close to death? Obviously it hurt her.

Rayne was trying distract Mikey by starting conversation.

"We can go to the gift store if you'd like, pick up something for Gerard" Rayne asked, leaning his head on Mikey's shoulder.

Mikey smiled slightly. "Sure, let's go."

Rayne smiled back at Mikey, before standing up, gently grabbing Mikey's hand.

"We'll be back" Mikey smiled at Carrie.

Carrie just nodded, her hand on top of Gerard's. She sighed, waiting for some more news from either a doctor or a nurse. Just so she wasn't clueless.

Hours had passed at this point. It was almost 6 AM. The sun was rising through the blinds in the windows. It was cloudy, but the sun still shined. There was hope in tomorrow. That things would be better.

Rayne had taken Mikey back to the house, just wanting to comfort him. Not wanting him to see his brother in this state. But Mikey knew this wouldn't last forever. He knew Gerard would heal. He always finds a way to do so.

Once the hospital was awake. People walking around, doctors talking to others and getting patients into gowns and rooms. The sounds of laughter and even crying at some point. Just made it feel that there was life, all around them.

There was a gentle knocking on the door, a tall, older male doctor came in, a clipboard in his hand. He looked tired, his whitish hair sort of swooped over his forehead, he had noticeable eye bags under his eyes. Poor guy.

"Hello. I'm Dr. Green. I have a few things to discuss with you. Nothing too major, but it's important." He spoke, sitting down in the small swivel stool next to the hospital bed.

"We did a few blood tests, and some scans. His blood tests came through perfectly, and the scans were clear." He sort of pointed his pen towards his clipboard. "But one thing that was strange, was his weight check. He's extremely below average. Now these are some personal questions, but I must ask you."

Carrie nodded along to what he was saying. Expecting the worse.

"Does Gerard have some issues with eating full meals? Or something along the lines of that?" The doctor asked, clicking his pen.

"I mean.. Sometimes, like he will eat, but go upstairs afterwards.." She said hesitantly. Not really knowing how to respond

The doctor nodded, writing something down.

"Well what we think happened, is that his body isn't getting the nutrients or food that it needs, causing him to just.. shut down. We want to try and give him some medication, to help with that. But.. If that doesn't work. He may need to have a tube inserted so he can get the nutrients he needs." Dr. Green continued to write information down.