No strings attached..

Start from the beginning

I laughed through my nose, causing her brows to shoot up in surprise,"Just maybe you don't know me that well," I stated monotonely, feeling a bitter taste in my mouth. I knew I was being unfair to her, but I couldn't help it. The weight of my responsibilities was bearing down on me, and I felt like I was suffocating.

As I spoke those words, I could sense their gravity in the air, as if they had taken on a palpable weight of their own. The tension between Izumi and me seemed to intensify with each passing second, and I could feel her cold gaze drilling into the back of my head. With her arms crossed and her brow furrowed in displeasure, Izumi's body language was a clear indication of her annoyance. The pressure of the situation was almost suffocating, and I found myself rubbing my temples futilely, attempting to alleviate the headache that was rapidly taking hold.

At that moment, I realized that Izumi didn't know me as well as she thought she did. Despite our long history and shared experiences, there was a part of me that I had kept hidden from her. I had always admired her for her unwavering strength and determination. Still, I had always felt a sense of distance between us. It was as if we were speaking different languages, unable to bridge the gap between us; I realized that deep down, Izumi deserved more than what I was willing to offer her. It was true that I had feelings for her at one point, which had led us to start dating, but then (F/N) entered the picture. I never intended to fall in love with her, but I did.

I can still recall the first time we met. (F/N) was eight, and I was ten years old, and she was helping Sasuke tie his shoelaces on the playground. Even then, I knew she was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. What stood out to me was how she didn't seem to care about my last name being Uchiha or the rumors about our clan being power-hungry and our eyes being cursed. When I told her who I was, she laughed and said, "I like that last name - (F/N) Uchiha has a nice ring to it."

My cheeks heated at her comment, but the idea of her being a Uchiha made my mind run wild with the possibility. As time passed, our friendship grew stronger, and I realized she was unlike anyone I had ever met. She had a darkness about her that matched mine, but she wore it like a badge of honor. She was unapologetically herself and wasn't afraid to show that she was flawed. I admired her for that. Her beauty only increased as she grew older, but it wasn't just physical - her spirit and her soul captivated me.

I remember the day I realized I was in love with her. It was like yesterday. I was sixteen then, and it was too late. I confided in my mother about my feelings, but she warned me not to tell my father and to let go of the idea. That evening, my father revealed his long-term plans for Izumi and me. And the next day, (F/N) shattered my heart when she told me she had started dating her first boyfriend. When she broke the news, I felt jealous that I couldn't explain. In hindsight, I think she knew how I felt because her relationship with that guy didn't last very long.

As the years went by, Izumi and my differences became more apparent. Izumi was always put-together, saying and doing all the right things, not because she had to, but because she wanted to. She never questioned anything and just did what she was told. On the other hand, I struggled to understand my place in the world and the actions of people around me. I often found myself lost in darkness, trying to understand it all. I wanted to see her darkness, to understand it, but it seemed like there was none to be found. Her light cast a shadow on me in many ways, and I struggled to find my way out. Pushing the thoughts out of my head, I tried to hide my pain. My emotions were in turmoil, and my mind was pulled in different directions. I felt like I was in the eye of a storm, with duty to my family, honor, and desires all vying for my attention. Finding a way out of the chaos seemed impossible.

Despite this, I knew that I couldn't show any weakness, especially not when so much was at stake. So, I took a deep breath, mustered up all the courage I had left, and spoke softly, hoping to ease the tension between us. "Please forgive me, Izumi. I am not myself today." I hoped my apology would end the conversation, but I knew the battle within myself was far from over.