Itachi

Earlier that year

"You can't keep doing this, (F/N)."

I rolled my eyes. This again? How many times was Temari going to bring it up? I decided to play dumb in hopes she would drop the subject.

"Keep doing what?" I said in a ditzy voice. I Pulled at the bottom of my shirt, trying to hide my discomfort with the subject.

Temari snorted.

"Don't play dumb." Nudging me, she continued, "He is falling in love with you," she said, pointing at me, "and don't you dare tell me you haven't noticed."

I sighed. "Yes, I have noticed."

I said as I mindlessly scanned the forest. I never realized how beautiful the forest was. Beautiful pink spring blossoms and thorns laced the forest floor, and the sweet sound of bird chirps came from all around them. The sun started to dip below the sea of trees, transforming them into a canvas of light and shadows. 

"Well, what are you going to do about it?" Temari asked as if I had all the answers. I mean, if I did, I surely wouldn't be in this damned situation.

I grumbled, "We should focus on our mission."

Temari playfully whacked me with her fan. "Ouch!" I pretended to pout, rubbing my arm dramatically.

Temari rolled her eyes, seeing through my act. "We have been staring at these same trees for three days. No one is going to attack. We accepted this mission because it is like a mini vacation." She tilted her head towards me, flashing a pearly white smile, a devious look in her blue eyes as she pushed a stray strand of her blonde hair out of her face. She quirked a brow, pointing her index finger at me. "I am your best friend and have a right to know."

"Huuh." Sighing, I admit my defeat. She was right, and she had the right to know. Chewing on my bottom lip, I rubbed my hands against my pants. I don't know what I think. Plus, he is younger than-"

Temari cut me off. "uh uh uh," she wiggled her pointer finger at me," he is Younger by a years, cut me a break." She huffed out, "He is a man now. He is much taller and bigger than you. Who cares about age."

My eyes widened. I didn't expect Temari to support it. "I-I'm not sure how I feel about him."

Temari rolled her eyes again. "Jesus, just say his name! You act like it is going to reach out and bite you. Plus, you didn't mind saying it a couple of nights ago. If I recall, I remember you saying it multiple times." 

Temari waggled her brow, and I frowned. How did she even know about his and my entanglement?

"Enough. I get the picture," I said, putting my question on the back burner. "It was a drunken mistake."

Temari snickered, knowing otherwise. Standing, she stretched out, completely ignoring what I had just said. She leaned against a tree and motioned with her hand for me to continue.

"I-I don't know how I feel about hi-"

She glared at me, stopping me from not saying his dreaded name. I glanced at the ground, kicking at the dirt. "I don't know how I feel about Sasuke liking me," I said, throwing my hands in the air.

Temari smirked. Her blue eyes twinkled as a daydreamy look spread across her face. Biting the side of her bottom lip, she looked at the ground, a smile spread across her face. "I think it would be cute."

Pushing off the bench I was sitting on, I mumbled under my breath. "Says the one who won't admit her feelings for Shikamaru."

Temari's body went rigid, her hands balled into a fist, digging her fingernails into palms, and I knew I had gone too far, but it was too late to take it back.