Chapter Thirteen - Le Morte d'Arthur

Ember stands in to Council chamber listening as Gaius tells them about the creature Arthur saw "The creature you describe has all the characteristics of the Questing Beast

Ember stands in to Council chamber listening as Gaius tells them about the creature Arthur saw "The creature you describe has all the characteristics of the Questing Beast." he explains. "Surely that's a myth." Arthur says. "According to the old books, the appearance of the Questing Beast is supposed to foreshadow a time of great upheaval." Gaius tells them. "Gaius, it's an old wives' tale." Uther tells him. "Look, whatever it is, it's spreading panic. The people fear it will enter the city." Arthur pipes up. "Then we must kill it. Arthur, gather the guard together. You ride at dawn." Uther tells him. "I beg you, Sire, do not dismiss this. The beast is an omen. I've seen it come before, the night your wife Ygraine passed away." Gaius tries. "I've told you not to speak of that night again. I have conquered the Old Religion. It's warnings mean nothing to me now. Arthur will destroy the beast and we will no longer suffer at its hand." Uther glares.

Ember wakes up early the next morning, going to Arthur's chambers at he gets ready to leave "Ember, what you doing up this early?" he asks

Ember wakes up early the next morning, going to Arthur's chambers at he gets ready to leave "Ember, what you doing up this early?" he asks. "I want you to promise me something." she tells him. "What?" he asks her. "I want you to promise to be careful. You heard what Gaius said." Ember says. "Ember-" Arthur starts. "Promise me, Arthur." Ember cuts him off. "I promise, I'll be careful." Arthur promises. Ember nods and hugs him round the middle, Arthur wrapping his arms round her in response.

Later that day, Ember smiles as she plays with Edmund and Callie "My Lady, it's the Prince." a guard knocks on the door. "Go, I'll look after Edmund." Callie tells her. Ember nods, running outside in time to see Uther walking through the square with Arthur in his arms. Ember freezes, tears falling as Uther falls to the floor in grief. Uther cried in grief as knights carry Arthur to his chamber.

That night, Ember sits in Arthur's room with Uther. Arthur stirs in his sleep, Uther gently brushing his hair back "Shh. Sleep, Arthur." he tells him gently, making Arthur calm. Ember fiddles with the handkerchief she's embroidering "You can go and get some rest, Sire. I'll stay with him." she tells Uther. Nodding, the King kisses the top of her head in a Fatherly fashion "Send for me if anything happens." he tells her. "I will." she assures him. Uther nods and leaves the room, Ember moving so she's sat next to Arthur's bed "You need to wake up, Arthur. You're my best friend and brother. I need you, I can't do this on my own. Please just... just wake up." she tells him, tears falling as she holds his hand.

The next morning, Ember sleepily sits next to Arthur's bed with a sleeping Gaius. Gwen enters and knocks on the door to wake Gaius "Gaius? You should get some rest." she says. "He must not be left alone." he responds. "I will nurse him." Gwen tells him. Gaius nods and leaves the room, Gwen looking at Ember "You should go and get some sleep." she tells her. "I don't't want to leave him." Ember admits. "At least go and change, check on Edmund. I'll stay with him." Gwen tells her. Ember hesitates before nodding, Kissing Arthur's forehead before leaving the room and heading next door to her chambers. Walking in she's immediately tackled into a hug by Edmund "Mama!" he exclaims. "Hey Sweetheart, thou let me go so I can get changed?" she asks him. Edmund nods and runs to his toys, Callie walking over to Ember to help her change "How is he?" she asks. "Not good. Gwen is with him so I can change and check on Edmund. Thank you for looking after him." Ember tells her. "Any time, you know that." Callie assures her.

Once changing, Ember heads back to Arthur's room

Once changing, Ember heads back to Arthur's room. Edmund joins her so Callie can get on with her chores "Mama, when will Uncle Arthur wake up?" the boy asks, sitting on her lap. "I don't know Sweetheart, hopefully soon." Ember responds. Edmund nods, cuddling into her as she reads to him. Gaius and Merlin enter, walking over with a flask "What's that?" Ember asks. "We're hoping a cure." Gaius tells her. Ember looks at Merlin, who nods reassuringly as they give Arthur whatever is in the flask. Uther walks in "What are you doing, physician? What are you giving him?" he asks. "It's a... It's a tincture made from the lobelia plant, an ancient remedy for poisonous bites." Gaius responds. "A cure?" Uther asks. "We hope." Gaius tells him. "Do you really think it will have some effect?" Uther asks him. "It's our last resort, Sire. Perhaps you should allow him to rest." Gaius suggests. "I will not leave him." Uther responds, Gaius and Merlin leaving Uther, Ember and Edmund by Arthur.

Ember sits by Arthur's bed, Edmund asleep in her arms and Uther sleeping hunched over Arthur's bed. Arthur stirs and wakes up, Ember smiling as Uther sits up "Arthur." he says. Arthur looks around and puts his head back down, Gaius walking over and checking him over "He needs lots of rest, but he should make a speedy recovery." he tells them. "Thank you, Gaius." Uther tells him, Gaius leaving. Ember smiles "I thought we'd lost you." Uther tells Arthur. "We both did." Ember adds. "Don't worry, Father, Ember, I'm not going to die. I think there's someone watching over me, keeping me from harm." Arthur assures them. "Maybe you're right. On your long journey to become King, you will need a guardian angel. I shall inform the court that their Prince lives." Uther smiles, putting a hand on Ember's shoulder before leaving. Ember yawns slightly "When was the last time you slept?" Arthur asks her. "The night before you left." she admits. "Go and get some sleep, Ember. I'll see you in the morning. Besides, Edmund can't be comfy." Arthur tells her, moving to the fact Edmund is still asleep in her arms. "Okay, but we're having breakfast together." Ember sighs. "Wouldn't have it any other way." Arthur smiles.

The next morning, Ember smiles as she walks into Arthur's chambers with Edmund

The next morning, Ember smiles as she walks into Arthur's chambers with Edmund. The boy immediately runs over to Arthur, hugging his legs "Uncle Arthur!" he grins. Arthur smiles and crouches down "Hey Buddy." he greets, ruffling his hair. The three of them sit at the table, eating breakfast "You feeling better now?" Edmund asks Arthur. "Much better." Arthur assures him. "That's good, Mama was sad when you were sick. So was Grandfather." Edmund tells him. Ember smiles "Well, I'm better now. When my arm is better, we can have a picnic in the gardens to cheer them up." Arthur tells him. Edmund grins and nods "Grandfather?" Arthur mouths to Ember. "I think he means Uther." Ember mouths back, Arthur smiling in response.