Chapter Twelve - To Kill the King

Ember and Morgana stand in the Council Chamber, Uther and Arthur telling them about what has happened with Gwen's father "Treason?!" Morgana asks

Ember and Morgana stand in the Council Chamber, Uther and Arthur telling them about what has happened with Gwen's father "Treason?!" Morgana asks. "Yes, Morgana, treason. The blacksmith was consorting with a known enemy." Uther tells them. "Enemy? What enemy?" Ember asks. "Tauren. The leader of a band of renegade sorcerers sworn to bring down the King." Arthur explains. "And where is this Tauren now?" Morgana asks. "He escaped." Arthur responds. "Well, then how can you be sure?" Ember asks. "Because Arthur saw him with his own eyes." Uther tells them. "Well, even if the man is who you say he is, you can't sentence Tom to death for just being seen with him!?" Morgana protests. "We have reason to believe he was forging weapons for Tauren." Uther says. "Rubbish! He would never do such a thing." Ember tells him. "Every man has a price." Uther retorts. Arthur slides a lump of gold across the table "Found this on the blacksmith." he tells them. "So he was paid! He's a blacksmith. He could've been paid for shoeing Tauren's horse!" Ember exclaims. "In gold?" Uther asks. "This is madness! You condemn a man with no proof!" Morgana protests. "I have enough proof." Uther tells them.

"Arthur! Have you nothing to say?" Ember asks. "Father, the blacksmith committed a crime, but we don't know for certain he meant treason." Arthur pipes up. "No. You're right. Nothing's certain. Save one thing. The law stands or this kingdom falls." Uther tells them. "But the law must give him a fair trial!" Morgana exclaims. "He'll get a fair trial, and he'll be found guilty, 'cause that's what he is." Uther retorts. "You execute Gwen's father, and I will never forgive you. Never." Morgana says, storming out. Ember glares at Uther, walking out after Morgana "Morgana." she says, catching up. "We need to do something." Morgana tells her. "I know, for now we need more sleep. We'll go see Gwen in the morning." Ember nods, the two of them heading back to their quarters.

The next day, Morgana and Ember head to Gaius' chambers, heading up to Merlin's room "Merlin

The next day, Morgana and Ember head to Gaius' chambers, heading up to Merlin's room "Merlin." Morgana says, making him look over. "Morgana, Ember." he says. Looking over, they see Gwen sleeping on the bed "How is she?" Ember asks. "She's doing okay." Merlin responds. "We should let her rest." Morgana says. "Yeah." Merlin nods, closing the door as they exit. "Ember, Morgana, have you spoken to Uther? He must realise this is a mistake. Whatever Tom was doing, it wasn't plotting against the King." Merlin asks. "We know that. Of course we do. But Uther...Uther only sees enemies." Morgana explains. "But Tom is the most gentle soul I've ever met." Merlin says. "But he was seen with Tauren, and that makes him an enemy." Ember sighs. Morgana turns to leave "Then... there's little hope?" Merlin asks, making Morgana turn to him. "There's no hope, Merlin. None at all." she tells him, leaving. Ember shakes her head "Arthur tried too, Uther just won't listen." she tells her friend. Merlin shakes his head "What do we do?" he asks. "I... I don't know." Ember admits, walking out.