Chapter Nine - Excalibur

Ember smiles as she watches Arthur get crowned "Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this kingdom and its dominions according to the statutes, customs and laws laid down by your forebears?" Uther asks

Ember smiles as she watches Arthur get crowned "Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this kingdom and its dominions according to the statutes, customs and laws laid down by your forebears?" Uther asks. "I do, Sire." Arthur tells him. "Do you promise to exercise mercy and justice in your deeds and judgments?" Uther asks him. "I do, Sire." Arthur repeats. "And do you swear allegiance to Camelot, now and for as long as you shall live?" Uther asks. "I, Arthur Pendragon, do pledge life and limb to your service and to the protection of the kingdom and its peoples." Arthur responds. "Now being of age and heir apparent, from henceforth, you shall be Crown Prince of Camelot." Uther tells his son. The court applauds as Arthur stands up and faces the crowd, Ember smiling and going over to him "How does it feel to be the Crown Prince?" she asks. "The same as I did before." Arthur responds. "Hm, I suppose it is even more of a pleasure to be best friends with the Crown Prince." Ember teases, Arthur laughing. Suddenly a Black armoured Knight on a horse bursts through the stained-glass window, Arthur putting Ember behind him as he and the knights draw their swords "What in the devil's name?" Uther asks. The knight takes off his gauntlet and throws it down, Ember looking at the knight with suspicion. Arthur sheathes his sword but before he can pick it up, Sir Owain picks it up "I, Sir Owain, accept your challenge." he tells the knight. "Single combat. Noon tomorrow. Till the death." the knight responds, riding out.

Ember bites her lip as she, Callie, Morgana and Gwen talk to Arthur in Morgana's chambers "He shouldn't have picked up the gauntlet!" Arthur rants. "So put an end to it." Morgana tells him. "The challenge has been taken up. The fight cannot be stopped." Ember shakes he head, already having that idea. "Then fight in his place." Morgan tells Arthur. "I can't." Arthur responds. "Why not?" Morgana asks him. "Owain picked up the gauntlet. Owain is the one who must fight. That's the Knight's Code. He knew that." Arthur explains. "But it's a fight to the death!" Morgana exclaims. "I know." Arthur responds. Ember runs a hand through her hair anxiously "There isn't anything we can do, is there?" she asks. Arthur shakes his head and lets Ember hug him, wrapping his arms protectively round her.

Ember knocks on the door to Owain's chambers, Arthur opening it "Ember?" he asks

Ember knocks on the door to Owain's chambers, Arthur opening it "Ember?" he asks. "I wanted to see Owain before the fight." she tells him. Arthur nods and lets her in "Lady Ember." Owain bows. "Stop it Owain, we've been friends since I first came to Camelot permanently." Ember smiles. Owain smiles back "Promise me you'll be careful." Ember tells him. "I promise." Owain responds. Ember nods and shows him a piece of red fabric "May I?" she asks. Owain smiles and nods, making her tie it to his wrist "Remember that you only need to hit him directly once. Just... be careful." Ember says, her face full of worry. "I will." Owain assures her, kissing the back of her hand. "Good luck." Ember tells him, hugging him. "Thank you Ember." Owain responds, hugging her back before she leaves.