Chapter Four - The Poisoned Chalice

Ember stands with her arm linked in Arthur's as they watch Bayard and his men walk across the Throne Room to Uther "Camelot welcomes you, Lord Bayard of Mercia

Ember stands with her arm linked in Arthur's as they watch Bayard and his men walk across the Throne Room to Uther "Camelot welcomes you, Lord Bayard of Mercia. The treaty we sign today marks an end to war and a beginning to a new friendship between our people." Uther greets, the two Kings grasping arms and making both parties applaud. Feeling eyes on her, Ember looks over to see a dark haired serving girl looking at her with a slight smirk "Come on, let's go." Arthur tells her, leading her out.

Merlin sets down Arthur's clothes for the feast and backs up covering his face "When's the last time these were cleaned?" he asks. "Last year some time. Before the Feast of Beltane." Arthur responds. "Did it end in a food fight?" Merlin asks. "Probably." Ember responds. "Don't all feasts?" Arthur asks. "I wouldn't know. The airs and graces of the court are a mystery to me." Merlin responds. "Not after tonight they won't be." Arthur tells him. "I'm going to be at the banquet?" Merlin asks. "Not quite. You'll be there to make sure my cup doesn't run dry. If I have to sit through Bayard's boring speeches, I don't see why you should get out of it. Be sure to polish the buttons. Do you want to see what you'll be wearing tonight?" Arthur questions, Ember smirking slightly. "Won't this do?" Merlin asks. "No. Tonight you'll be wearing the official ceremonial robes of the servants of Camelot." Arthur tells Merlin, holding up the tunic and large feathered hat. "You can't be serious." Merlin says. "Oh, we are." Ember smiles, kissing Arthur's cheek before going to leave. "Where you going?" Arthur asks. "Your father wants to give me something." Ember responds. "What?" Arthur frowns. "If I knew I'd tell you. Remember to pick me up for the feast." Ember smiles, leaving.

Ember knocks on the door of Uther's chambers "Enter." he calls. Ember opens the door "You wanted to see me, My Lord?" she asks, walking in. "Ah, yes. I have something to give you." Uther tells her, going over to his screen and coming back with a dress "It was your mother's, I had it adjusted for you." he tells her. "I...thank you, My Lord." Ember smiles, tears in her eyes. "Lady Sabrina was a dear friend, as was your father Lord Fredrick. I thought you'd like something of your mother's to wear tonight at the banquet." Uther tells her. "It's perfect My Lord, I shall treasure it always." Ember responds, hugging the King. Uther smiles and hugs her back "I'm glad you like it Ember." he tells her.

" he tells her