Chapter One - The Dragon's Call

Ember wakes up screaming, her eyes flashing a fiery orange

Ember wakes up screaming, her eyes flashing a fiery orange. Arthur runs in, immediately wrapping his arms round his best friend "You're alright Ember, it was just a dream." he soothes. "It wasn't, it was that night. I was back there, I was watching it happen again." Ember responds, clinging to the front of Arthur's shirt. "You're not back there Ember. You're right here with me, you're in Camelot and you're safe." Arthur promises. Ember nods into his chest, beginning to calm down "Try and get some more sleep Ember." Arthur tells her. "Don't leave...please." Ember pleads. "I'll stay with you." Arthur assures her. Nodding Ember lies down, Arthur lying next to her above the covers "Thank you." Ember tells him, leaning into him. "You're my best friend Ember, I'll always be here for you. I promise you'll always have me." Arthur tells her, holding her close.

The next morning Ember stands in her room watching the execution of a sorcerer "Let this serve as a lesson to all

The next morning Ember stands in her room watching the execution of a sorcerer "Let this serve as a lesson to all. This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass." Uther, the King and her Guardian, tells his people. He raises his arm and lowers it as a signal to the executioner who executed Thomas, people gasping and Ember looking away "When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin." Uther announces, turning to leave. "There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you! With your hatred and your ignorance! You took my son! And I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a son for a son." Thomas' Mother wails. "Seize her!" Uther exclaims. The guards go to grab her but she chants a spell, making her disappear in a whirl of wind and smoke.

Ember moves away from her window and over to her desk, picking up a book to read when there's a knock on the door "Enter." she calls. Arthur walks in "Arthur." she smiles, hugging him. "I was wondering if you'd like to join me on a ride today?" Arthur asks. "I'd love to, let me change my shoes and we can go." Ember smiles, going over to her closet and pulling out her riding boots. "You going to join the celebrations?" Arthur asks her. "Kind of have to, Uther wants me present." Ember responds, pulling her boots in. "We could always go to the feast tonight together, make it mor entertaining for the both of us." Arthur suggests. "Sounds like a plan." Ember smiles. Arthur smiles and offers his arm to her "Shall we?" he asks. "We shall." Ember smiles, taking his arm.