Chapter 10: Mistaken

Začít od začátku

I hesitate briefly in front of the silver door before I step inside.

The Alpha was on the bed this time as if he couldn't wait to continue what he had started previously.

I bow quickly. I didn't want to look him in the eyes and upset him.

I heard a rumble of clothes and knew he was standing. He regards me for what seems like an eternity before he moves closer.

I clench my fists involuntarily as I await his order.

“We are riding,” he mutters thickly.

“What?” I had asked before I realised it. It was as if I didn't hear him correctly.

“Riding, Autumn,” he stresses, a bit frustrated.

Damn! I love the way he pronounces my name.

“News is circulating about Gwen and we have to put an end to it today. Make sure you smile no matter what. Even if you don't know what to do, smile. Gwen smiles a lot,” he explains.

I nod once and quickly.

Xavier's face softens suddenly. He extends his hand to me.

I regard it for a moment and my heart amazingly skips several breaths.

I take it slowly.

He didn't look at me, as he whirled me around slowly and we stepped outside.

I was taken aback for a moment. There were a lot of maids and soldiers standing outside the door as if they were monitoring us.

Xavier's grip on my hand tightens slightly. I knew it was a cue for me to regain myself. So, I didn't need to look at him.

I release a sigh and force a smile to my face.

Xavier walks me through their midst and we step into the vast front yard.

Two horses were standing just a few feet away. I stared at it for a moment and my eyes suddenly widened in its sockets.

Wait a moment! Am I riding alone?

“So, I and Gwen will go riding. Tell whoever comes wanting to see us that we won't be available until evening,” Xavier's deep voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

I look at him quickly. I desperately want to tell him I can't ride a horse. That was one thing I couldn't do.

My father and the pack were prohibited from getting horses. It was an order made by Alpha Xavier King to every neighbouring Pack. No one was bold enough to face Xavier. So, no one sold to us.

Alpha Rowan who could have done so, didn't as well. Well, why would he do that when his cousin was married to Xavier?

But can Gwen ride? If I can't ride, wouldn't that be a disaster?

Xavier's gaze found mine suddenly and he flashed me a smile.

That smile! It made him look even younger and more handsome. Its radiance brightens my heart. If only I could continue to see him like this.

“No disturbance, James,” Xavier warns jokily. “I'm going to be with my Luna till evening!” He added more stress to the word_Luna and I couldn't help the lump that suddenly appeared in my throat.

Xavier looked at me again, but this time he didn't smile. Though, he wasn't frowning either. His face did something in between.

He suddenly covered the space in between us and before I could blink, I was engulfed by those big arms.

My heart skips a beat and hammers wildly in my chest.

Even though I knew it was all a pretence, I couldn't stop my heart from reacting to it all.

The heat he supplied me with was something I couldn't handle.

Suddenly, the previous night rushed in, and I imagined what it would have been if I and Xavier had perfect sex. I want to know how it feels when he touches me with those big hands of his.

I suddenly felt Xavier's breath fan my ear and I lost it.

“Act well, Autumn, they are watching,” he whispers.

I force my eyes around me, at the maids that I caught staring and some that were quick to avert their gazes. It looked as though they were watching out for my flaws.

Xavier pulls back slightly and kisses my forehead. Heat rushed into me at that action.

What is happening? Is that the power of the mate bond?

Xavier finally pulls away. “Can we leave now?”

Unable to retrieve my voice because of the kiss, I nod instead.

Xavier flashed me another smile and I was sure that my heart melted.

It was only when he extended his hand to me again, that I realised we were moving closer to the horses.

Damn! I should have told him earlier that I couldn't ride.

Now it's too late.