To Be With You (5)

Start from the beginning

A - She might understand. But, you tell me, won't she be hurt that her best friend isn't present for her birthday? And, okay! Forget about everything for a moment, just tell me one thing, why do you not want to go anyway? - she asked but he didn't say anything & looked down at the floor making her sigh. Okay, Neil! Look at me! - she placed her hand at the side of his cheek & her thumb rested at the top of his chin to make him look at her. See, I don't know what is it exactly, but I do understand that you're wary around people. But Neil, I want you to understand that you need to stop thinking about what people are thinking about you, okay? Don't let them get to you! You remember you were saying that freedom must feel sweet? Brinjalhead, this is your freedom! - she rubbed her thumb across his jaw. To let go of what people think about you! It doesn't matter. Hm? - she raised her eye brows at him.

Neil just nodded at her with a small smile on his face as he seemed to feel a little less anxious. 

 A - Smile, Brinjalhead? - she asked as she tilted her head to the side while blinking at him making him chuckle at her.

She herself flashed him a bright smile as she grabbed his hand & stepped out of the apartment. 

_______________

Avni got off the bike when Neil stopped it outside the party venue & parked it. She could feel that Neil was anxious as his shoulders were stiff & body language felt rigid. A sigh left her mouth as she watched him fiddling with the keys of the bike. 

Taking in a deep breathe, she slipped her hand in his & intwined their fingers making him look up at her. 

A - I'll be by your side all the time. Ali & Rhea will be there too, hm? - she smiled as she gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

N - I still think it's a bad idea! - he sighed while looking at the entrance of the roof top cafe that Rhea had booked for the party. But, let's just do it! - he looked at her. Tum bas haath pakde rehna, thik hai? - he said.

Her heart fluttered when she heard him & could only manage a nod while looking at him. 

Avni held his hand firmly as they made their way towards Rhea. Both of them wished her birthday as they hugged her & Ali too, joined soon enough. 

Though Neil had felt at unease in the beginning but he could feel himself getting comfortable as he just focused on his close friends. He was sitting near the soft drinks counter along with Ali & Avni as they talked about something. It was midway between the conversation that Avni felt a little thirsty & stood up from her seat to get some water but Neil pulled her back. 

A - Kya hua, Neil? I was just- - true to his habit, she was cut in between by him.

N - Dance with me. Please. - he said as he held her hand.

A - Uh, okay! Let me just drink some water & then- - she was telling him only to be cut in mid again!

N - Gaana khtm ho jayega, Avnii! Chalo! - & she couldn't refuse at the way he insisted.

Neil led her to the dance floor as he placed his hands at her waist while she wrung her hands around his neck. 

Tujhe sochta hoon main shaam-o-subah

Isse jyada tujhe aur chahun toh kya?

Avni had no clue how to slow dance. She had always been the girl who one would find dancing on the weirdest of songs. Nonetheless, she let her body sway with the slow beats of the song as Neil did the same. He was standing too close for her heart to beat rationally. Her breathing had gone erratic & she fumbled with her steps when she looked into his eyes. His pupils looked almost green when the reddish - orange hue of the sunset sky hit his eyes.