CHAPTER TWELVE

Third Person's POV

Ryker was sitted in the back seat of one of the trucks of Hendrix Security Council. He was quiet the entire time as he watched the men carry his friend's corpse into the ambulance.

He hadn't even settled the matter with Jo and another one had begun. His eyes stung but he had no tears to cry. His soul had chosen to remain numb in response to the negativity surrounding him.

He was pulled out of his trance when the doors of the truck closed. His father and about 3 other male members of the council had already settled into the seats and they were driving down the narrow path.

Soon enough, they came to a halt in front of the infirmary. They all got down leaving Ryker alone in the car while the members of the paramedics wheeled Anna to the other building beside the infirmary. Ryker let his eyes follow their every movement until the glass doors shut behind them and they took a turn.

"Are you alright son?" Jace, Ryker's father asked as he entered into the vehicle through the back door. Ryker remained quiet while Jace ran his hand through his silk hair.

"I know you don't want to talk right now but I promise I'd look into this. Try giving yourself a little break from all of this"
Once again, Jace was met by complete silence. He let his head fall back and the thoughts took that as their cue to flood his mind. After a few minutes of thinking, Jace let out a sigh and got down from the vehicle closing the door with a small thud.

Ryker let his eyes follow his dad's silhouette and once he was out of view, he let out a sigh of his own and made his way to his favourite spot.

》》》

Ryker sat on a rock as he looked at the water. There were tiny ripples on the surface and if he wasn't wrong, he could locate a mother duck and five smaller ducklings. He let his mind wander to all the situations on ground and his lips sub consciously pursed into a thin line. He felt a liquid on his legs and he looked up to see some turbulent waves and he watched the liquid with admirable concentration, only one thought dominant his mind

Calm before the storm

That's his life. So sweet and peaceful with his family friends but now the storm is here to shake him off balance and murder his mental health but then again, he had learned in the early years of his life from his late mother.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself instead cause the storm would eventually pass away with time.

Ryker let out a sigh and got up from the rock. From a distance, he observed the mother duck as she ushered her ducklings to the safer side of the river.
He withdrew his gaze from the sight before him and dug his palms into his pockets and made his way to his room. After a quick brush and face wash, he removed his clothes, tossed them into his laundry basket at the corner of the room and slammed his body to the bed, clad in nothing but his undergarments.

》》》
Jude opened her eyes as she felt the sun plant warm kisses on her skin through the little opening the curtains had failed to cover. She got up from Jo's bed and went over to the curtains to pull them together. She checked the time on Jo's digital clock on her locker and for the first time in a few years, she actually slept for an extra four hours. Luckily, she didn't have any morning class.

Jude stretched her muscles out and began to make Jo's bed. She bent down to pick the blanket she'd kicked to the floor and set it on the bed she had cried on all night. Thereafter, she carried her little bag of toiletries and made her way to the bathroom. There were only three girls in the bathroom and Jude guessed they didn't have morning classes too cause every other person had already left the dorm.