CHAPTER FOUR

Slowly, I opened my eyes to be welcomed by another pair peering right into my soul. To some extent, I was insecure and I hated when people looked me straight in the eye- it made me feel so self-conscious, extremely vulnerable and overwhelmingly awkward which also made it difficult for me to maintain eye contact. I shifted back and I realized I'd been summoned as Lilith had been the one staring. As I shifted, her gaze on me became even more fixated and I winced before mumbling under my breath.

"Can you not stare at me like that ever again?"

"Ugh, sure. I guess"

I smiled weakly in appreciation while Lilith cracked her knuckles. The resulting sound was quite appealing and I was tempted to crack all my joints but I decided to stick to my knuckles and neck. After a minute, Lucerne entered and I felt better immediately. The room had been what it was earlier I couldn"t even breathe well.

"Hey Jo"

"Sup Lucy" I replied without any second thoughts while Lilith rolled her eyes before turning towards me. "Sooner or later, you'll have to join our school. For the meantime, we'll stick to evening lessons
whereby I summon you but you need to know most about who we really are" I nodded my head slowly, slightly confused but open enough for her words to sink in as I absorb it with their meaning. "We have a branch of the academy on earth which is disguised as a boarding school. We can get your dad to enroll you there if you don't mind."

"But, I'll finish this year first"

"It depends. You might either be a transfer student or you wait till the end of this year" Lucerne added. I'll get you a locker and a spot as well as all your essentials for the coming year. I smiled before sinking to the nearest chair. There were a million thoughts running swiftly in my head like marathon athletes competing for the Olympics. I sub-consciously let out a sigh before speaking

"Lucerne, I see things" She scoffed then replied "Well aware"

"But, why do I also feel like there are voices like demons in my head." This time, neither Lilith nor Lucerne said anything which slightly bothered me. I looked up to find them communicating with their eyes

"Guys, please say something. Anything" Lucerne sighed. "Do you want to get rid of them?"

"Not really, it's...I don't know, don't bother"

"They are to serve as a guide for you. When you get to Hendrix, you'll have your thoughts cleared" Lilith said. "That's all, we just wanted to know if you were okay with us enrolling you." I nodded

>>>

I was back on my bed now. I let out a sigh before getting ready for school. I decided to wear a short blue jean skirt that stopped an inch above my knees. I slipped on a black and white short sleeved shirt and packed my hair into a high ponytail after brushing through it. I wore a pair of white Vans and put my phone in my bags small compartment. I also added a few granola bars and skittles before making my way downstairs. Halfway down, I heard the saddest rhythm ever and I locked eyes with he who produced such depressing yet magnificent music, Romano patted a free space beside him. I smiled and sat.

"Looks like you're an early riser." He smiled and I gave him a dry one in return before taking a seat. Biting my lip and fumbling with my fingers, I contemplated in my rowdy mind on whether I should say something or just shut up and drown in the awkward silence.

"Uh...your music is uniquely satisfying and depressing at the same time." Romano gave me a smile without looking up before strumming and playing light and even sadder rhythm. I got so immersed I didn't even realise he was saying something.

"There was a time when it was full of life but after my dad di- left, I just started playing this sort of thing" he ended with a dry chuckle. Hesitation obvious in my movement, I slowly raised my hands towards his back in order to pat it, giving him a chance to pull away or reject but he didn't so I did pat his back and soothingly rub my palm on it. I wasn't going to say sorry. Sorry changes nothing and besides, its not like I killed his dad so what am I apologising for? On God's behalf for taking him away? Seriously, those five letters are fast losing their value. The criminals and offenders don't apologise but innocent souls do out of pity?

Slipping into the dark जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें