"Of what?"

"Life. I got tired of life."

A tear rolled down her cheek. I wiped it away with my thumb.

"You got into Yale, Ryan. I can't even get into Community College. I'm just a big, fat failure."

I wiped more of her tears.

"I'm not an overachiever anymore. I'm not pretty like Courtney, or talented like Alan, or smart like you. I'm nothing." she continued.

"You should not say that about yourself. You're not a failure. You're so much more than that. All these years, you were my only competition. You were the one who pushed me hard enough so that I could achieve what I have achieved."

I told her in a calm voice.

"Never underestimate yourself, Bissy. That's not like you. And think about your mom, Courtney. How will they live knowing that you died because you thought you were nothing, huh?"

She nodded.

"Thank you. Thank you for the pep talk, Ryan. You were the last person I expected to talk me out of this."

She smiled lightly and I let go of her.

Wow.

I saved Sarah.

"Are you still mad at me?" I asked my 12 year old sister (cousin actually) Stacie sitting beside her on the couch while she was sulking and watching Disney shows on TV

"She's not talking to you, dude. She's real mad this time." her brother Alan commented.

"You always ditch her. How come she never gives you the silent treatment?"

"That's because she does not expect anything from me. She does expect from you." he shrugged and went out for basketball practice again.

"Come on, Stac. Talk to me. Yell at me. But don't give me the silent treatment. Please?" I nudged her elbow.

She finally looked at me.

I brought out my puppy eyes and started wobbling my chin.

"Fine. I forgive you. But please don't bail on me ever again. Because if you, I promise I will never speak to you again. Okay?" she warned me.

"Okay." I agreed and hugged her.

I came out of my room to take a little break, and also because I was kind of hungry

"Hi Ryan!" a cheerful voice called me out.

I looked at the source of the voice.

"Courtney?! What are you doing in my house?" I asked Courtney, Sarah's best friend.

"She's my friend." Stacie said while dragging Courtney to the couch.

"I'm confused. When did you two became friends?" I darted my fingers between them.

"We met in a beauty parlor. I went there with Alan. She recognized him, and we became friends for life." Stacie narrated.

"For life?"

"Yes! For life!" Stacie beamed.

"Okay..." Pre-teens were way too naïve. No friends can be for life.

You're only saying that cause you don't have any friends.

That's when I remembered that I had just saved Sarah from killing herself.

I was sure Courtney had no idea, which is why I thought of telling her myself.

She was her best friend. She had the right to know.

"Courtney, can I speak to you for a sec?" I urged her.

She hesitated for a while but then finally nodded and got up from her seat. She followed me to the backyard.

Here we go.