Chapter 31- Fight or Flight

Start from the beginning

She shot up off of the couch, ready to diffuse the conflict, but I pulled her back down, signaling for her to stay, as I climbed to my feet tiredly and hobbled towards the voices.

I followed the sounds of angry shouts, their volume increasing with every step I took towards them.

The front door finally came into my sight, and I had to withhold myself from running towards the arguing figures, trying to follow my brother's advice.

Preserve don't protect

Flight not fight

Preserve don't protect

Flight not fight

Preserve don't protect

Flight not fight.

but what about Joey?

Johnny and Ethan were yelling at my brother, who was staring back at them with an eerily calm expression etched on his face.

I knew what that meant.

He was analyzing.

Trying to figure out the best way to get out of his situation.

And I knew the conclusion he would come to.

And the consequences of it

I then focused my attention on the more important things right now.

My brother's fists.

They were at his sides, and as he clenched and unclenched them repeatedly I felt my heart sink to the pit of my stomach.

he was gonna swing.

He was being confronted, so he was going to do the only thing he knew how to.

Fight.

preserve and protect

I knew I was right when he clenched his fist a final time and lifted his hand to swing at Ethan.

Fight

I caught my brother's humongous fist in the palms of both of my hands before it could strike Ethan, the pure force of it definitely bruising my hands.

Pain shot through my arm at my protective action, but I used everything in me not to show it as I stood there staring at Joey unwaveringly.

Don't. you. dare. i told him mentally, glaring at him

His gaze softened, and he shared another look with me, this one apologetic.

I nodded calmly.

that's what i thought.

My brother took a deep breath and his chest fell at the action, his walls collapsing at my presence.

"We better get going" I said, tone tight, pulling my hand from Joey's fist and shaking it slightly, hoping it would numb some of the pain left behind after Joey's strike.

don't cry don't cry don't cry don't cry don't cry

"You're not going anywhere" Ethan said protectively from behind me, wrapping a hand around my waist gently (thank god because my pain meds had worn off and my back was on fire) and tucked me into his side. "Not with him." he elaborated, shooting a glare at my brother.

"Ethan..." I hesitated, "It's okay. It's just Joe."

"Is he the one who's been hurting you baby? Is it him? You can tell me baby I promise, I'd never let him hurt you." Ethan choked out, not taking his eyes off of my brother as he hugged me tighter.

ouch.

wait what?

"What are you talking about E?" I questioned him, pulling from his grip to try to ease the pain in my back. "You think Joe is hurting me?".

"I know someone is, and this big burly asshole hasn't exactly made an impression." he snapped at my brother.

"Hey!" I cried, trying my best not to raise my voice at him, I didn't want to upset anybody, especially the 6'4 rugby player in front of me... or players. "Don't talk about Joe like that." I defended, turning to face Ethan while I grabbed Joey's hand from behind me, mainly to prevent him from swinging again.

"Then who is it Marc? Someone's hurting you and it kills me that I don't know how to help you" he pleaded helplessly.

"I- I I uh uhm" I stuttered, speechless at the realization that he knew.

he knew.

oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit.

don't cry don't cry

shit i'm gonna cry.

Ethan's gaze softened at my speechless state, and he opened his mouth to speak, but before he could, all other heads in the room whipped to the doorway.

Shannon scrambled into the room nervously, and I eyed her reassuringly, trying to mentally tell her that it was okay.

it was not okay.

This was not okay.

★・・・・・・★

Authors Note

i'm sorry if you don't like this chapter, i wanted to make sure to update for y'all since it's a monday. If y'all want any sort of thing added to the plot then comment it here and i'll try to add it!!

shout out to Juliet-Gomez

(I think you might have gotten one earlier but it's okay because your a real one)

Ily all! You are so fucking loved!💗

-Kat

WC- 1344