Chapter 7.2

The soft, flaky sand felt good between my toes as I slid them as deep as possible with each step. A few crabs skittered along my feet a few times in a panic to get away from the disruption. For a time, only the sound of the waves echoed through the quiet night. I peeked over at Venus when it started to feel awkward, wondering what expression she was making. To my surprise, she was looking back at me. I let out a little yelp, which made her laugh.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to stare," Venus laughed.

"No! I'm sorry, I was just...I don't know." I stuttered, looking back down at my toes in the sand. Our pace started to slow when the academy pillars started to get more prominent in the distance.

"This is all pretty awkward, isn't it? The selection, this academy, choosing whether to give up this life on land forever or take someone else's life to get a chance to fly in the sky," she spread her arms out at that, looking up at the stars. She looked back over to me. "I want to fly. I want to soar above the clouds. I want to actually feel free for the first time and see the world, the whole world. Even if I have to give up the world below the sea. But I can't help but ask myself...is it worth it? All of this?"

I stared at her in disbelief. "I wouldn't think you would feel that way. I mean, you're the perfect embodiment of everything our professors are always preaching."

Venus sighed, "Perfect, huh?" she stopped moving toward the academy and turned to head for the sea. I followed until we both stopped where the tide tickled our ankles. "But no one is perfect. I mean, what I just said could get me exiled. You won't tell, will you?" she smirked as if joking, but there was fear behind her eyes.

"No, of course not! I mean, I--" my words cut off. She was right, speaking against our traditions, especially in a way that vilified taking human life, was a great dishonor that would lead to punishment I knew all too well. I shook the memory from my mind and looked over to Venus, who had turned to look out to where the sea kissed the sky. She was always so strong, so brave. I'd always looked up to her even before I'd met her, hearing stories of her great talent and contributions to our society. Headmistress had allegedly gone to her mother to request she be enrolled in the academy before she was even old enough to decide. She always wore her strength and grace with the ease of the illustrations of soldiers I'd seen, dressed head to toe in formidable armor. Maybe it was heavier than it looked.

And here I am, with an apparent gift stronger than all others combined with no effort on my part. A lot to lose, but so much more to gain. But none of it would be presented to me on a silver clam. I needed to be brave, like her.

I collapsed into the water, drenching my uniform. "I hate all of this. I hate that I lost Penelope. I hate that I lost my sister and my mother. I hate all the people's lives our people have stolen. I hate that we don't have a choice unless we want to be abandoned and left to the hands of who-knows-what in the deep ocean. I hate what I did to Caroline. And I hate that this....this thing, bound me to kill someone I love. He and Caroline have shown me more love than most Maji I have ever met. I just want this nightmare to end!" I cried. Of course, my words came out like a child throwing a tantrum while Venus' were a measured and articulate defiance. I hid my head in my arms as Venus settled down in the water beside me.

For a moment, fear overtook my heart as well. What is Venus was playing with me and wanted me to say all of that? If they searched my room, there was no way I could deny my connection with humans. They could parade me through the village and at least half of them would recognize me right away.

Just as my mind was about to carry me away into a panic attack, I heard the sound of a tail splashing in the water. I looked over to see Venus naked apart from her gorgeous tail stretching out in the waves. Her face looked so relieved, a tear falling down her cheek. Any description of mermaids I'd read in human literature was personified in Venus now. Her tail sparkled with the moonlight, cascading bright lights in the water. Her pale skin was lightly brushed with the mist of the sea, causing her to glisten almost as brightly as the pools of light in her eyes. Her blond hair was tied up in a ponytail wrapped with multiple strands of her own hair, piles of layers dancing in the wind. All she was missing was an ornamented bustier of shells or clams covering her breasts, but she looked more gorgeous uncovered with only her hair to cover her torso.

"Care for a swim?" she asked, turning to me with a smile. Her eyes no longer looked fearful, but they looked more serene than I'd ever seen. No more words needed to be spoken. She knew she had an ally in me and I in her, no matter what this crazy world thrust upon us. There was so much more I wanted to tell her. But for now, she was right; a midnight swim was just what we needed. I removed my own moonstone and wrapped it up in my hair. Together, we dove into the sea as the current swallowed us whole. Rays of moonlight shone through the waves like spotlights on the sea floor, highlighting a few other creatures passing through.

We swam circles around each other, laughing and dancing in our most natural form. There was no gravity to hold us down, and the burdens in our hearts I could feel were also shed, if only for a moment. More than any blood-stained wings could grant me, here, I felt truly free.

Our swim led us back to the academy, the waves designed to push a harsher current around it to prevent humans from swimming around. As we rounded it to the other side, I felt a strong pulse in my heart like someone was yanking it. I called out to Venus, who stopped swimming to round back over to me. I moved slowly through the water, trying to follow the pull to where it felt strongest. It felt strongest when I leaned against one of the widest and outermost pillars of the castle.

"What is this?" I asked.

Venus looked it up and down. "From the location, I think it is Headmistresses' tower."

As sure as the pull in my heart, I could hear someone calling my name in my mind. Caroline. The dungeon was there, right underneath my feet where I was desperately searching not a few hours ago. They hadn't just disappeared, there must be some sort of hidden entrance to the depths of the castle. I moved away and joined Venus as we swam back up to the shore, feeling lightheaded. I knew where to find Caroline. But how would I get inside? And how would I sneak her out of here safely?