Chapter 6.6

The dining hall was set outside around one large pool where a long glass table floated surrounded by dozens of smaller glass squares we could sit on or lean against. The pool was flanked by two glass tables propped up in bright yellow sand where students would fill if the pool table was completely taken; it was most popular, as it gave us an opportunity to shed our legs for a moment and be reunited with our strong, familiar fins.

Today it was full, as most courses for the day had already ended. Immediately after a selection, professors were usually more relaxed with their curriculums as any remaining students had a year before the next test, but all of the students here seemed exhausted. There were even a few in the courtyards practicing their talents, more so than usual. Since the Queen was visiting the academy, everyone was most likely on their best and most show-offish behavior.

We chose the table to the right and the farthest away from sight, but that didn't stop everyone from immediately fixating on us when we came into sight. Not only were we the Chosen Five, but we had the ever-famous Venus, the increasingly infamous me and a human in our ranks. There was no escaping the unwanted attention. Thankfully the most anyone did was gawk at us and openly gossip while staring. At least they were gracious enough to keep their voices down. We moved over to the banquet table and piled food on our plates, today's specialty being grilled octopus dumplings on thin sticks with a deep brown sauce coating them. Back at the table, Martin said they reminded him of some dumplings his father brought him a long time ago at a ceremony when they met up.

"They're called takoyaki, I think he said. Said they are popular with the humans that resemble father and I the most," Martin said with one dumpling in each cheek. Even after complaining that they tasted better the way the humans made it, he went back for seconds. As delicious as they were, the best I could do was eat two before my stomach rebelled. Caroline seemed as uncomfortable as I did, but she was able to eat four before she hunched down and sipped quietly at the pink berry juice in my shell.

Before long, Kendral appeared by our side as more students began to flow into the dining hall. As the moon chased the sun out of the sky, all five of us quietly followed Kendral up to the Headmistresses' chambers. Once we got inside, we saw that Tyler was already there and laughing at something the Queen said. They turned to look at us and smiled wickedly, making Caroline visibly tense.

"There you are! It is impolite to keep your Queen waiting, Tyler and I have been so patient." She said. We all murmured our apologies and took our seats in the room, Martin the only one who braved sitting next to Tyler. "Tyler was just telling me that they ran into you while they were searching the beaches, Nia. And looking at your moonstone, I see it's true! You found your match!"

"Yes, congratulations, Nia." Tyler purred, eyeing Caroline. "It's amazing you've gotten so close to two humans in so little time! Unheard of, really."

Before I could respond, Headmistress stepped forward from the shadow she was standing in, startling everyone but the Queen and Tyler. "It is not your consort that you have matched with, Nia?" she asked.

I shook my head, trying to keep calm. I'd already shared my "experience" with the others, so the lie would hopefully sound honest. "No. I was walking along the beach and I heard some water thrashing out on the far side of the academy. It looked like one of those touring humans was trying to climb up the side of the castle towers, but they fell and started to drown. Then I saved them."

Tyler frowned. "I didn't hear any thrashing, and I was out on the beaches all day."

"I can't really help what you didn't hear, Tyler," I said, anger starting to rise again.