Chapter 1.4

The dorm was a good distance away from the ceremony site at the center of the kingdom, heightening my panic at the speed Hewa could travel the distance. The main grounds and seas would be heavily occupied despite the time, as many celebrations would be held in honor of Penelope. Penelope was the least popular of the Chosen Five this quarter, mostly due to her hanging out with me, but she was the last to finally make her kill. And since we are typically not permitted to attend the ceremony, there are always festivities of our own on the campus, no matter who the ceremony is for. And this being the last one until the new year, the parties would not end until the Queen came with the news.

I couldn't wait that long, and snuck out as soon as the coast was clear, but that was the easy part. Sneaking back in could be difficult. Thankfully no one really notices my comings and goings, so my goal was to slip through the grate, sneak along the edge of the party and hurry over to my rooms. I'd lost my roommate, and my only real friend, so everyone expected me to sulk the night away in my shell, waiting to hear whether she died, survived or was banished.

The pillars of the campus were finally visible from underwater, covered with deep green algae and other various sea creatures. Above water they would be an unblemished light gray stone with pieces of green sea glass weathered by the sea within the cracks. The grand castle lay in the center, connected to the mainland by a bridge the same stone as the pillars. Embedded in the stones were bits of glass and a variety of shells worn from our steps and the ocean waves. There would be guards stationed there, but none were needed here underwater. Any human that tried to dive deep enough, even if they survived, could not penetrate our gates activated with the magic of the Moon Shell.

If I went that way, though, I would reveal I was out during the ceremony. Instead I swam deeper around the side of the farthest pillar behind the brush of seaweed growing there. Behind it was an old, rotted iron grate that seemed rusted in place, impervious to the push and pull of the tide. One bar right at the end, though, was loose, and it was my usual entrance and exit from this place. Carefully I grabbed hold of the iron, twisted and popped it out of place. Squeezing through the narrow gap it created used to be uncomfortable, but it is not so hard to bear anymore. Worst it does is leave a few marks of rust on the hip of my tail, easily shaken off by the tide.

Once inside, I swam up the incline as the water level lowered with the ascent. I could change now, but I did not want my clothes to give me away with the sweet smell of the deep ocean. After pulling my body along the dry concrete for a time, I made it to the other side of the grate. The iron on this side was still forgotten but less rusty, echoing the sounds of the party just a stone throw away. I sighed. Even if I were to try to sleep the night away, all of this racket would prevent it. The moon was already falling out of the sky; soon the sun would rise and the days pressures and schedules with it.

Leaning against the iron, I untied my pack from my hair and fished out my moonstone. Our moonstones were enchanted pearls that allowed our fins to split and take the form of humans, from their lower torso to the soft heels of their feet. Each stone adorns us in the campus uniform: a corseted bodice the color of the pillar stones with bindings along the breast to simulate seashells and two layers of skirt that start high at the front and taper down to tickle the backs of our thighs. The bottom layer is an iridescent violet that shines under moonlight and sunlight alike, with the top layer a sheer version of the bodice color rimmed with small bits of sea glass. It is all covered by a tight woven shawl that fastens to the moonstone at the collar and fans out in a similar fashion as the skirt, meeting at its lowest point in the back at the tip of the skirt. Inside it is lined with the iridescent color of the skirts, both imitating a silk softer than any human could spin. If chosen, we could forgo the corset for a lined vest and a light pair of trousers with the same coloring.

I pulled my moonstone out of its shell and fastened the chain to my neck, watching as it seamlessly parted my tail into two human like legs and shielded my body with the uniform. Though each uniform was the same in basic design, others were altered depending on the rank and ability of the student. Those with an unmatched talent for seduction had their stone dyed to match a blood moon, the pale grey of the uniform following suit. Those with the most bewitching voices that could potentially send a ship of men diving to their deaths had pearls and uniforms of violet.

Mine was still the same pale grey as the moon. Popping the iron rod from the grate, I peeked my head out to see if anyone was nearby. Once satisfied, I quickly pulled my body through the narrow gap and shoved the rod back in place. Safe. I could easily sit here and pretend I could no longer bear the pain and had to find a quiet place near the sound of the tide to cry melancholy. But it would be best to be seen in my rooms.

It wasn't hard to move past all of the partying. With the brightest lights and commotion in the center, no one was looking towards the edge of the grounds for a quiet girl inching towards the stairwell. Everyone was out tonight, jumping and shouting together in celebration. Mainly in celebration of celebrating than Penelope or the ceremony. There were deep shells of different shades of liquid surrounded by platters of smoked seaweed, oysters and shrimp and sliced fish filets in the center. I held my nose and my stomach against any temptation and hurried towards the stairs.

The moment I thought I was free, someone caught my arm.