Chapter 4: A New Friend

The clouds were usually a dark looming clutter of regret, but today they are vibrant and happy, as if the sky was smiling down at me. The sidewalks tend to have rats lurking in the shadows, the streets almost resemble a ghost town aside from the occasional prostitute, but today the streets are full of people with smiles on their faces. There are children running around with ice cream cones in their clutches.

Everyone seemed so content with their lives, almost as if it had always been this way. Was I so blind to this? Has my mind been playing tricks on me? Tricks are for kids, right? But I am far from a kid.

I never had to drive in traffic but today is different, very different. The light at the traffic light has turned green, though the car in front of me refuses to drive, ¨GO you fucking cunt!!!¨ I scream as I hit my honk aggressively. The sudden outburst finely woke the driver out of there little trance and drove, but very slowly. ¨Freaking bastard doesn't even know how to drive properly." I mutter as I proceed to swerve around him speeding off into the abyss.

Pulling up to the office I notice a bunch of cars pulled up into the lot. Cars of all kinds are parked in the spaces I randomly chose everyday. ¨Fuck, now where am I gonna park.¨ As if my prayers were answered I turn into the next row and I see an open space. Pulling in, I grab my satchel that is field with useless papers that I never look at, and I make way inside the building.

What appeared to be the office was full of people, crowded even. The first time I've ever seen so much commotion in this space. The air even smells different, I no longer get irritated by the old yellow light. It has been replaced with a nice and newly light fixture.

The desks were actually filled in by people, working employees. What's going on?

¨Elsie, where have you been?" A soft voice spoke up towards me as I walked to my desk. This guy was about a foot taller than me, dark brown hair layered over his head. A birthmark that almost covers his right eye. "I've been meaning to send you the copies for tomorrow paper.." I zone the guy out, trying to get a grip of my workplace. Was I so blind to my own reality to just blur everyone out? My mind is playing harsh tricks on me.

¨Excuse me, who are you again?" I ask with uncertainty towards the nice-looking guy to my left standing above my desk. His delicate features turn even more softer than I could ever imagine as he leans in, as if he's ready to whisper his worst secrets. I suck in a deep breath by the sudden closeness. A rush of pure mint goes up my nose, this shit burns. Must be the real deal.

"Elsie stop acting strange and file these for me will you," he says whilst handing me a news article which I assume somebody in this office wrote. "We are still on for tonight right?" glancing back up at me, I cower under his daring gaze.

"What's tonight?"

"My dinner party! I hope you didn't forget you promised to take me to the store to grab some last-minute things." Yanking his head back, his mouth slurs out laughter as he goes in to set his palm onto my hand. "What rich guy can't take his best friend to the grocery store?"

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been a pushover nor really confident. Even back in primary school I had the guts to stand up to humanity. Even when I had to watch my mother leave my side, I held my own. So why now, out of all places, did I not speak up for myself. How shameful can I be if I can't even stand my ground? Have I succumbed to this treacherous place and lost myself. Have I become a nameless face? I've become more like my father than I ever realized.

"Oh don't be such a grouch, we haven't been in here long." Says the optimistic guy who claims to be my best friend, though his lame attempt to fool me sucked just like him. He proved me wrong by showing me a picture of us together with my head tucked under his arm during a new years party, too close to him, not to mention the photo was in his wallet. We've been in the freezer aisle for over 5 minutes and 10 seconds, way too long. "Would you be so kind as to grab the frozen cut vegetables?" He asks, glancing my way, his brown hair bouncing at the natural action.

With a hum as my reply, I turn towards another aisle to retrieve the wanted item. I don't know why I'm helping him, I don't like the fact that my feet know where to go before I can even think of it. I never stepped foot in a grocery store before, I never had a reason to when grandpa does all the shopping. Stopping in my tracks to open the glass door, I look at my reflection, which is something I never do. "You look great, you know." Flinching back at the sudden appearance, he's behind me. I can feel the heat radiating from his body, and my breath slows down as mint takes over my nostrils yet again.

¨I was uhm, just grabbing some bagged peas."

No, you weren't.

"What you say?" snapping my head around to face him.

"I didn't say anything, are you alright?"

A soft hand rubs my shoulder in a circular motion. Immediately I am comforted by his touch, though in the back of my head disgust feels my voident mind. I'll punish myself later.

Glaring up through the glass door to the frozen section, a smile of satisfaction looms over his face.

 What a weird dude.