Chapter 1: Deal

The song for this chapter: the loneliest by Mane-skin

"The fox has many tricks. The hedgehog has but one. But that is the best of all."

Elsie pov....

I've been walking on an empty path for a few years now, For I have become no-one. My name is Elsie, and as long as I can remember the world has always been a disheartening place. Chaos runs the streets like traffic lights. It's inescapable, especially in NewYork the capital of hunger.

Ever since I was a boy in school, I was bullied because of my name, my slender frame gave people other things to talk about. My mother left when I was six, she told my father that she couldn't handle us anymore, she told me she couldn't handle him anymore. Jack, my dad whom I called 'Sparrow', lives a sad life. He became bitter after my mom left, and became absent. Sparrow lost his job after developing a gambling addiction, my grandfather stepped in and I was meant to live with him. My grandpa and Sparrow were alike in many ways, both of their wives left them and they both lived miserable lives. Perhaps that's why my path is so empty, for I am destined to become just like them. Like father, like son. Mother look at what I have become.

"You can leave Elsa", My boss says. I've been working at Tellers for a few months now, it's a newspaper business. I like it, because it's the only thing keeping me from getting a phone to keep up with the news. But my boss? Not so much, he's a big guy with yellow stained teeth, he loves to talk and invade my space. He comes in everyday with the same yellow tinted shirt-which I think is supposed to be white. I hate him.

"It's Elsie." breath in breath out

"Whatever, there's a thunderstorm soon, and I gotta get home to watch the game." Without saying another word, he unzips his pants a bit to release his belly, and walks back into his office.
I start to pack up some useless paperwork into my satchel, as I look around the small eerie room. There are two lamps in the room, and five desks. I've been here for months and havent seen another employee in this room with me. He probably thinks I'm too dumb to notice, but I refuse to mention that to him. Getting from my desk I walk towards the exit, which is evidently right next to my desk.

"Have a great afternoon Mr.Garcia.", walking without waiting for his response, and outside into the madness of the streets.

The clouds loom over the city, and there's hardly any one seen around. It's pouring rain and I'm the idiot who forgot to bring an umbrella to work, just great.
Silence covers the streets, and only thumping against the ground is hard. Looking around I see some pizza joints turning their open sign off. Looks like I'm not the only one headed home.
I'm coated in a long black trench coat, but not even that can shield me from this horrible weather. Raising my hand tryna get a taxi, as traffic slowly decreases. A yellow car pulls up to my side, but by doing so soaking up my entire right side. Just great, my luck today.