Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Alex followed after him. When Kayce was about to turn the cart, another crashed into it. Alex looked around Kayce's shoulder and saw a face she hadn't seen in a long time. She quickly glanced at Kayce but realized he wasn't too aware of who it was.

"Alexandria?"

Alex looked back at Miranda Long.

"Hi...Mandy," Alex nodded.

Miranda looked between her and Kayce. Alex felt Kayce tense beside her but she didn't look away from Miranda's dark eyes. They cut through Alex like a knife almost.

"Sorry," Kayce muttered, motioning to the cart.

Miranda pushed her cart forward, her eyes still staring at Alex as she did so. Alex followed her until Miranda disappeared down the next aisle. A breath she hadn't realized she had been holding finally blew past Alex's lips. Kayce looked down at her.

"Come on," Kayce pushed the cart over to the registrar.

Alex was quiet as they got back into Kayce's truck. He loaded their items in the backseat before climbing into the driver's seat and starting the truck. Alex felt almost sick to her stomach as she sat there, feeling the heater turn on.

"Are you okay?" Kayce asked her.

"Are you?" Alex didn't mean to snap, but it came out like that.

Kayce's lips pressed into a thin line as he looked forward. The last time Alex had seen Mandy Long was almost five years ago. She had brought in one of her sons to the clinic Alex had been at closer to the reservation. They didn't speak as Alex stitched up the kid. And when they left, Mandy's husband picked them up...Robert Long.

"Sorry," Alex immediately felt bad. "I didn't mean it like that."

Kayce didn't say anything but sat there. Alex took a deep breath and looked at him.

"Does she know?" Alex asked quietly.

"I don't know," Kayce said.

"Probably not since she just walked away," Alex offered.

They sat there for a few minutes in silence.

"Why'd she walk away from you?" Kayce finally asked, looking over at Alex.

Alex shrugged.

"They always walk away from me," She sighed. "They all hate me."

This time, Kayce didn't try to change her mind. She looked over at him and waited for him to say something though.

"I know it's complicated," Kayce cleared his throat.

Alex's eyes widened, not expecting to hear that from Kayce.

"And I know I don't know everything you've...gone through," Kayce paused for a second. "But I am glad you're not there."

"There?" Alex asked. "The reservation?"

"Yeah," Kayce nodded.

"Oh," Alex licked her lips. "Well, yeah that is a complicated thing."

"The way they all treat you," Kayce said.

"It's not entirely their fault," Alex shrugged.

"Alex," Kayce narrowed his eyes.

"It's not," Alex said. "You don't understand that part...if it wasn't me...if someone else had done what my mother and I did, I'd probably be just like them."

"You wouldn't," Kayce shook his head. "You're not like them."

"Well...there are parts of me that are," Alex felt oddly defensive right now. "But I guess I sort of get what you're trying to do."