Hang Out

It was less of an invite and more of a reminder when Melanie called Blaine's house again and asked when he would pick her up. Every Saturday night was the same; the whole group would hang out at Eric's apartment, watch movies, and play video games. Even Blaine's parents were so accustomed to it that they were surprised when Blaine asked them if he could go. Without another thought, he was off to get his girlfriend and hang out with people he hadn't had a conversation with in decades.

Blaine found himself both disgusted with the run-down apartment and enamored by the incredible memories made there. Of his vast memories of this place, none included the leaking sink, the stains on the carpet and walls, or even the slight skunk smell that faded after a few minutes. As per the norm, Blaine sat beside Melanie on the loveseat. Eric, Dom, and Natalie sat on the couch, and Lex took her spot sitting sideways in the recliner. With pizza and soda, they all stared at the jewel of Eric's apartment, a 32-inch TV with surround sound and attached DVD player and PlayStation. The movie of the night was the newly released The Mummy.

For many other high schoolers, this would be considered a boring party, but for this group, it was perfect. After the movie, they would take turns playing on the Playstation with whatever video game got the most votes for the night; everyone else would end up talking until their turn to play came up. The conversations tended to vary far more than any casual conversation Blaine could recall in his adult life. Depending on who was talking, the topics could range from quantum physics or organic chemistry to high school gossip. The variety of minds and personalities of the group created an atmosphere where anyone felt comfortable talking about anything. They never shied away from the usual taboos of politics, sex, or religion and were able to remain objective and insightful and rarely got offended. In fact, Blaine felt that if it hadn't been for their raging teenage hormones, they would never have fought at all.

A thought occurred to Blaine; his memories had betrayed him. It wasn't Josh and Natalie who had started the group-breaking drama. It was Dom and Natalie. It wasn't the party weeks ago either; it was tonight. Apparently, the specifics of some past events were not significant enough to create a solid memory in Blaine's mind, but certain things seemed to trigger a chain reaction of memories.

Blaine contemplated his options as the party's current situation clarified and meshed with his fuzzy, decades-old memories. It was a very binary choice. Either he could try to change what happened or let it happen. He didn't particularly enjoy the drama, nor was it fun being the guy both "sides" came to for advice. On the other hand, he had no idea what repercussions there would be if he prevented it. He vaguely remembered there being alcohol involved, yet there wasn't a drop in the house tonight. Perhaps he had already changed enough that it wouldn't happen tonight or ever. Maybe he was remembering incorrectly. He had been amazed at how many of his memories were either half-truths, lacking details, or entirely false compared to how they actually happened.

"Where are you?" Melanie said, moving into his frame of view, which happened to be very focused on the wall just to the right of the TV. The end credits had started to roll, and Blaine had been too lost in thought to even notice.

"Just thinking," he said, honestly not knowing what else to say.

"About?" She pressed.

"Just life in general, I guess," He said without thinking. He was still half-focused on the conundrum of what to do about tonight.

"You have been thinking a lot more than usual the last few days and talking a lot less," Melanie said with a slight reprimand in her tone.

"Hey guys, my brother said he would make a beer run for twenty bucks," Dom announced, with an ear to the phone.

Despite everything happening, Blaine couldn't help but notice the phone plugged into the receiver that was plugged into the wall. He immediately forced his mind back to what Dom had said. Alcohol was the only thing missing from his memory that made tonight any different than his memory. His memory had only been off regarding the timing of events.

Blaine could tell Melanie was still watching him. "I can't drink tonight; I have to be home in half an hour."

"I have a little bit of cash to throw in," said Eric, grabbing his wallet.

"I'll go with you. If you're willing to swing by my house, I have a few bucks." Natalie said, getting up.

"Yeah, that's fine." Said Dom.

Blaine did not remember it from before and wasn't entirely sure it wasn't his imagination, but he could have sworn he saw Dom smile a little when he heard Natalie offer to go with him.

Lex looked over at Blaine. "Can you spot me a little? I don't have anywhere else to be tonight."

"If you are going to stay and drink, can you give me a ride home first, please," Melanie asked sweetly, almost pleading to Blaine with her eyes.

That was it. That was why he didn't remember the details. He had given Melanie a ride home, probably made out with her in his truck for too long, then went home instead of back there.

"Yes, I'll give you a ride, and yes, I'll give you some money," Blaine said, reaching for his wallet. "Under one condition," he said, looking at Lex with two twenties in his hand, "I want you to go with them and make sure you get either Tito's Vodka or a lot of Ska Beer."

"Tito's?" Lex asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, they should have it. If not, they have to have Ska."

"When did you get so particular? Last week, you were content drinking keystone from a mini-keg," Melanie said, not hiding her curiosity.

"Well, I am nearly 18 years old, and as such, my taste buds are maturing as well," Blaine said, attempting to distract her from his apparently odd request. He wasn't even entirely sure Tito's existed yet. He just needed a reason to have Lex go with them. Melanie just rolled her eyes as he grabbed his jacket and her hand and headed for the door.

"Be back in an hour or so," Blaine said as he walked out the door.

Right behind him, Dom said, "It only takes ten minutes to get to her house; what are you going to do for the other forty-eight minutes?"

"Probably your mom. She likes to take her time." Blaine said without thinking. He immediately felt stupid for such a juvenile comment but blamed it on Dom's equally immature comment and the fact that he was starting to feel like a teenager again. The fact that it was timed well enough that everyone laughed didn't help.