Nineteen

GAY WITCH HUNT

It was a Monday at the office and it had been a month since the famous Casino Night, the printers were whirring, the phones were ringing, and Dwight was cutting his fingernails

It was a Monday at the office and it had been a month since the famous Casino Night, the printers were whirring, the phones were ringing, and Dwight was cutting his fingernails. He casually blew the clippings over to Ryan, who was now seated at Jim's old desk. Ryan pursed his lips before glaring at the camera.

~

"Yeah, I'm not a temp anymore." Ryan smiled proudly to the camera. "I got Jim's, uh, old job. This means, at my ten-year high school reunion, it will not say, 'Ryan Howard is a temp'. It will say, 'Ryan Howard is a junior sales associate at a mid-range paper supply firm'. That'll show 'em." He bobbed his head.

~

Nearby, seated diagonally opposite Ryan sat Isabelle who was staring off into the distance.

"Um..." Jim gazed softly into Isabelle's eyes, his heart aching. He was so in love with her, but he couldn't bring himself to say it. The fear of being rejected again lingered in his mind, "I just feel like I need a fresh start. I think it's for the best." He finally managed to say.

Isabelle looked back at him, her eyes filled with longing. She could see the pain in his eyes. She wanted to tell him how she felt, but she feared what might happen, "I--Okay..." She nodded, not wanting him to go, but she knew that she couldn't ask him to stay. "I hope you find what you're looking for."

Jim faked a smile whilst his eyes brimmed with tears, "Yeah, me too." He agreed, his tone gentle.

The pair stood there for a moment longer, Isabelle embraced Jim. As they held each other, Isabelle buried her face into Jim's chest as his arms tightened around her. Eventually, they reluctantly pulled away.

Isabelle shook off her daydream, feeling a bit apprehensive as she reached for her phone. With a slight hesitation, she flipped it on and started composing a message. Pausing momentarily, she reviewed her words before pressing send.

~

Isabelle sat in the conference room, her smile strained as she spoke, "Jim and I are still friends, yeah," She said, nodding as if trying to convince herself. "It's just... different now that he's transferred. We used to talk all the time, hang out, chat about movies... But now, with him at Stamford and me here, things are... busier. Yeah, busy with work and all. That's completely fine." She gave an awkward shrug, followed by a nervous giggle. "We haven't really had a chance to talk lately, but that's just because of work. Work, work, work." She nodded to herself, as if reaffirming her explanation.

~

"Jim is gone. He's gone. I miss him so much." Dwight pretended to cry.  "Oh, I cry myself to sleep. Jim. False." His face straightened. "I do not miss him."