"Spiritual how?"

"Auras... Deep emotions..." Her eyebrows crinkled, her pretty features marring with concern. "I see so much pain... I see bruises and blood, knives and glass... A closed off cold, bare room with no escape."

I froze, my jaw fingers tightening on my shirt.

"That's enough." Asra snarled.

I was sure my face had paled at the witch's confession. My belief in her ability was completely concrete. If she saw the room, and the knives, then she knew more than anybody in this pack. Only Mya, Caleb and Asra knew of my past, and even that was scarce. I liked to keep it to myself.

"It's okay." I shook my head, awkwardly clearing my throat. "Those things are true."

"I can see your scars, child. I feel your pain as though it is my own." Evangeline smiled sadly. "Being a witch is hard when empathy is so strong."

I muttered a thank you, dropping my gaze to fiddle awkwardly with the hem of my shirt. Asra was tense beside me, his nostrils flaring as he observed the situation. He grumbled softly, pulling my chair so it was flush against his. His hand secured itself onto my thigh and I dropped mine on top in gratitude.

"Enough of this," He murmured. "I called you in for a favour, not to delve into something you have no business in."

Evangeline's lips quirked. "If I am to see her childhood past, I need to get through the adolescent first."

"Don't overstep your boundaries."

"When the lines are drawn, I will not." She nodded firmly before turning her gaze to me. "Your soul aches. I can feel its deep grooves of pain. You need to lock those feelings away, because all they are doing to me right now is screaming for attention."

"I didn't... I didn't know witches could do such soul searching." I frowned.

"I am not a witch. Not a full one, anyway."

"What are you?" I breathed, and she glanced at Asra.

"Evangeline is half-fae." He stated firmly. "Her powers are... unique."

Unease dawned on me as everything I ever learnt about the two species came to light. Not only was she a witch who could control elements and cast spells, but she was a creature who could see souls and fates, and eat them whole. I didn't like it, and I was fast to throw up my defensive walls, curling into my seat more.

"I see that did not appease your mind." She smiled. "I will not harm you, Ailia. I am not that powerful."

I shook my head, silently disagreeing.

"Can we just get this over with?" I muttered.

"Of course." Asra squeezed my thigh. "Ailia's childhood is patchy and new things have come to light that may give us some information about her bloodline."

"You mean the dead dad thing?" Evangeline was quick to answer, tilting her head.

"What do you know of it?"

She glanced between us, and I watched as her face grew weary. She was becoming nervous, the charismatic smile she held drooping.

"There is... a lot of magic. There may be a spell. It hides most of her past."

"Can you bypass it?"

"I can try." Evangeline nodded. "It will require her to sleep."

Asra turned to me, his eyebrows raised. He was trying to ask me if that was fine, but my eyes were wide with horror. He frowned, humming softly.