"It's not like that," Chisaki waved off. "She's still in high school."

Forget looking unconvinced, Pops now looked absolutely horrified.

"Chisaki," he muttered gravely. "I suggest you choose your next words very carefully, otherwise I can't guarantee I'll be able to contain my anger."

It took a few seconds for it all to click, and when it did, Chisaki's eyes widened.

"Nothing happened," he gritted out, a faint blush rising to his cheeks. "I promise it wasn't like that. I don't have any such despicable intentions. She's just... a friend of mine, you might say. I met her a few times, in passing, and we seem to have a lot in common. She happens to align with my beliefs, that's all."

"I'm not sure what you could possibly have in common with a high school girl. Good grief, boy," Pops sighed. "I'm all for you opening yourself up to others, but you need to be careful whose company you share. A young lady has no business getting involved with the yakuza. Don't cause trouble for her, you hear me?"

"I would never," Chisaki reassured. "I'm rather fond of her. If anything, I want to protect her and keep her safe from the rest of the world."

"...I see."

Pops pressed his lips together, unsure what to make of the whole thing, but he could tell that Chisaki wasn't lying. It was strange, and perhaps a touch concerning, but supposing he didn't cross the line or do anything inappropriate... it was probably fine for him to finally have a friend.

Probably.

"Would I be able to meet this friend of yours at some point?" Pops asked.

Chisaki nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, of course. I'm sure you'll like her. She's very entertaining to be around. Her energy is rather contagious. And I thought she was a fool at the beginning, but she's actually smarter than she looks."

"Haha. In that case, I'll be looking forward to it."

Pops smiled warmly. It always made him happy to see these little bursts of emotion coming from an otherwise emotionally stunted man. For a long time, he'd feared for Chisaki's wellbeing. Even as far as the yakuza went, he was... cold. Concerningly so. It made Pops worry that he could commit unspeakable acts without so much as batting an eye.

But now he apparently had a friend. That was good news. It was a step in the right direction.

You would surely change him for the better.

"I have to review some documents," Pops said, folding his hands into the sleeves of his kimono. "If you need me, I'll be in my office. Perhaps we can sit down for tea together later. Oh, and things are still going well with my granddaughter, yes? That poor girl... her Quirk is so unpredictable. You're good at all that scientific stuff, so please try to keep finding a solution. I want her to be able to live comfortably like everyone else."

Pops couldn't see it, since it was obscured by the mask, but Chisaki's lips spread into a muted smile.

"I'll look after her, as promised. Actually, I think I'll go pay her a visit right now. Just take it easy, Pops. Leave everything to me."

"Thank you, Chisaki. You're a good man."

If only that were true.

Pops left to go sort out paperwork in his office, and meanwhile, Chisaki made for the very end of the hallway. But he didn't stop there. There was a certain vase that he hovered in front of before lifting it up and pressing the switch underneath it.

A passageway opened. It wasn't at all uncommon for yakuza dwellings to have concealed rooms or other secret areas. They were still criminals, after all. They had plenty of things to hide.