11. Whispers of Desperation

-Mat karna kabhi guroor apne aap par, aye insaan
Rabb ne na jaane tere jaise kitne mitti se banakar mitti me mila diye

As dawn painted the sky with hues of pink and orange, Emara's heart raced with worry. Her mother's condition had worsened overnight.

Flashback:

Emara had come back to her room after her performance and saw that Amina was lying on the floor, barely breathing.

Emara rushed towards her mother, begging her to wake up. All sorts of dreadful thoughts ran through her mind. Thankfully, Amina gained consciousness in a few seconds.

"Mumma what happened?" she asked in a fearful voice.

"Pata nahi Emara, achanak se kamzori si mehsoos hui aur fir chakkar aa gaye", Amina replied.

(I don't know Emara, all of a sudden I started feeling weak and then I just fainted)

Emara made her sit on the couch and offered her a glass of water. Amina drank some of it and then handed it back to Emara.

"Emara mujhe nahi lagta ab mai zyada din jee paungi", Amina sobbed.

(Emara I don't think there's much life left for me)

"Astaghfirullah Mumma aise toh mat kahe, Allah ki rehmat par bharosa rakhe"she pleaded with her mother.

(May God forgive, Mumma please don't say this, have faith in Allah's mercy)

"Meri bacchi, tum bohot acchi zindagi ke layak ho, kaha tum iss daldal me fass gayi, kaash tum kisi aur ghar me paida hoti", Amina cried.

(My child you deserve a good life, why are you stuck in this quicksand, I wish you were born into a different household)

"Mumma please, I'm very lucky that I have a mother like you now please stop saying all this rubbish and take rest, we'll go to the doctor tomorrow morning",Emara said.

"Doctor? No Emara, we know what he's going to say he'll ask us to get started with the expensive treatment that we can't afford", Amina said concernedly.

"Let's cross the bridge when we get to it Mumma, now sleep", she instructed her mother.

Emara helped her mother to her room and sat there for a while until she fell asleep and then walked back to her own room. It took her a while to fall asleep but eventually sleep consumed her.

                         ********

Emara and Amina were currently sitting in the doctor's cabin. The doctor had made Amina undergo numerous tests and was now going through the reports.

"Madam, I've said this to you before and I'm saying it again, your cancer is spreading too fast and you need to undertake proper treatment for it, these preliminary medicines aren't going to work" Dr. Rafiq said.

Amina had been dreading about these exact words, she had been hoping for a better alternative, one they could afford but alas there wasn't any.

"What would be the cost for the treatment?" Emara asked.

"5 lakh for a four week long treatment",the doctor said.

It was a huge amount, it wasn't something Emara could arrange single- handedly. But she was determined to get her mother the treatment she needed.

"Okay doctor thank you, I will get arrange the money and get back to you", she replied and walked outside with Amina following closely.

As they stepped out of the hospital Amina said "Emara what do you mean by arranging the money? Kahan se leke aaogi tum itne paise? Kya iraada hai tumhara?"

(From where will you bring the huge amount of money? What are you thinking?)

"Mumma main kar lungi kuch, aap fikr nai kare", Emara pleaded.

(Mumma I'll do something don't worry)

"Kya matlab hai ki fikr nai kru? Fikr toh hogi hi na, Emara meri jaan, itne saare paiso ke lie tumhe kya kya krna padega tum nahi janti", Amina cried.

(What do you mean don't worry? Obviously I'm going to worry, Emara my love, you don't know what things you will have to do for so much money)

"Mumma mai janti hu, jo krna padega main krungi",Emara said stubbornly.

(Mumma I know, I'll do what I have to)

"Kya krogi? Apna jism har uss mard ko bech dogi jo tumhare darwaaze par ayega", Amina said furiously.

(What will you do? Will you sell your body to any man who'll come to your door)

"Haa bech dungi Mumma, jo karna padega karungi lekin haath pe haath rakh ke aapko marta hua nai dekhungi", Emara sobbed.

(Yes I'll sell myself Mumma, I'll do whatever it takes but I won't sit still and watch you die)

Amina couldn't thank God enough to give her a daughter who loved her immensely. But she didn't want her to step into the prostitution lifestyle because she knew once you go in then there is no going back.

                       **********

Emara stood outside Madam Farah's chamber waiting for her permission to enter.

"Aa jao", Madam Farah said.
(Come in)

Emara stepped inside, Madam Farah sat on the sofa, her feet perched on the coffee table in front of her, a plate of paan and betel nuts was kept near her feet.

"Are dekho toh kaun aya hai! Hamare kothe ki sabse shareef ladki Emara",Madam Farah mocked.

(Oh look who's come! Our brothel's most innocent girl Emara)

Emara didn't respond to her comment and simply stood with her head bowed down.

"Tameez bhul gayi ho kya? Aadab kaun karega hume tumhara baap?" Madam Farah spat.
(Have you forgotten your manners? Who is going to greet me? Your father?)

Emara raised her hand and meekly whispered "Aadaab".

"Tum jaisi ladkiya bohot dekhi hai maine, zara sa bhaav kya milne lag gaya tumhe mardo se tum toh khudko heroine samajhne lag gayi", she hissed.
(I've seen many girls like you, you get a little bit of attention from men and then you start thinking of yourself as heroine)

"Aisi baat nai hai Madam Farah", Emara said.

(It's not like that Madam Farah)

"Bolo kyu aayi ho yaha?" she questioned.

(Why have you come here?)

"Mujhe paiso ki zarurat hai Mumma ke ilaaj ke lie", Emara said in a low voice.

(I need money for my mother's treatment)

"Ab aayi na aukaat par", Madam Farah cackled.
"Thik hai agar paise zyada chaiye toh client zyada lene padenge, aur wo jo kahe jaise kahe karna padega, ye shareefi ke nakhre nahi chalenge."

(Now you have come to your actual class
Okay then if you want more money then you'll have to take more clients, and do whatever they ask you to, and these tantrums of innocence won't be tolerated)

"Ji thik hai", she said.
(Okay)

"Aaj raat taiyaar rehna aur haa kapde mai jo bhejungi wahi pehen na, MLA sahab ke bete aur unke kuch dost aa rahe hai, tum unka dhyaan rakhogi samjhi?" Madam Farah asked.
(Be ready tonight, and wear the clothes that I'll send for you, MLA's son with a few of his friends will be coming, you will take care of them, understood?)

"Ji samajh gayi", Emara replied.
(Understood)

Madam Farah grunted for her to leave and Emara was more than happy to oblige.

She walked out of the chamber and went to the terrace. Cold breeze blew as she sat on the floor, her back to the wall and knees hugged to her chest.

She dreaded the night ahead of her. She silently prayed to God to make it easier for her.