2

italics - flashbacks

xxx

"Why was Jenna there?" Aria whispered quietly as to not gain the attention of any outsiders listening. "I guess she's back." Cassandra answered, making awkward eye contact with Hanna for the tenth time. 

Maybe it would've helped if she wasn't sitting right in front of her and farther away, but this was the closest they had been in a year, and it was painful. They clearly had some tension and things to talk about and everyone else at the table took notice. 

"That cop acted like we were suspects or something." Hanna rolled her eyes. "Do you think we looked guilty?" Emily asked, worry crossing her features. "Why would we be? We haven't done anything wrong." Aria denied. 

"Except lie about the Jenna thing." Hanna brought up. "We promised we'd never bring up the Jenna thing again, remember?" Spencer hissed, "It never happened."

"Have you found a way to forget?" Cassandra asked, "I still wake up sometimes in the middle of the night." 

"Cass, it was an accident." Spencer reminded her. Hanna sighed and opened up another flash hidden in her purse and poured the contents in the diet coke. She caught the stare of an old man sat across from them, "It's medicinal." She loudly announced, giving the man a fake grin. "Cramps."

"Do you always drink now?" Cassandra rose her eyebrow at the blonde. "Like that's any of your business." Hanna huffed, taking a large sip of her drink. With the brunette so close to her, she'd need more than a bottle of alcohol to get through this. 

Spencer and Emily looked at each other, feeling the angry tension seeping through the blonde and the guilty look of the Montgomery daughter. 

"Sorry, I didn't realize I was friends with a middle aged drunk." Cassandra gave a sarcastic smile, not actually meaning her apology. 

"We aren't friends." 

Cassandra giggled, watching Hanna get more frustrated each minute. Her face burned brightly, looking like she was outside in the heat all day. 

"How does "A" know something about me that only Alison knew?" Emily questioned, deciding to change the topic before Hanna lunged across the table and hurt Cassandra. "Ali knew all of our secrets, but we never knew any of hers."

"I knew some." Spencer admits, holding her coffee mug up to her lips.

 "Go on." Aria spoke. When she didn't say anything, Hanna snapped in her face, "Talk."

"I can't." Spencer frowned, lifting her thumbs off the edge of the mug. Cassandra shook her head, "Spence, no, you are not gonna drop a bomb like that and just clam up!" said girl shook her head, "She'd so kill me if I told you."

"She's dead!" Hanna reminded her, ignoring Emily move uncomfortably in her seat. "Ali was seeing someone that summer." Spencer rushed out, hoping that the ghost of Alison wasn't going to haunt her for spilling her secret. 

Emily whipped her head in Spencer's direction. "I knew she was keeping something from me!... from us." she played with her fingers nervously. "Well, why didn't she want us to know?" Aria asked. 

Spencer shrugged, "He was an older boy, and he had a girlfriend."

"Who was it?" Emily frowned. "She never told me his name." Spencer answered. "Okay, that's only half the secret." Hanna scoffed. "It's more than you ever got from her." Spencer retaliated. 

"How was it that Ali told us nothing and we told her everything." Aria wondered aloud. "Because she made us feel like we were part of something special." Emily said.