midnight rain

In a world so unkind, Matteo loves like the moon embraces the night sky. Jandro loves like tending to a fragile flower garden.

-

Matteo loves like true religion, it's always been so obvious– an undeniable fact even as his friends say it.

He loves with complete reverence. Complete faith, deference, and admiration. All of it was how he loved. He approached love like it was complete worship, a system of belief that he thought was completely flawed. After all, even the truest of people didn't deserve to be loved like how Matteo loved with complete reverence.

The way he loves, like it was his last opportunity to do so in the entire world. The way he misses, such as the moon misses the sun at night. He was all too loving. Pure love and adoration. Regardless, much like the sea adores the moon, endlessly reaching, but never quite touching

Even if it meant falling. He believes that love is enduring, it lasts, going on and on to no end. Yet, he never knew the difference between endurance and patience– a line so blurry, he was convinced he refused to see at some point. He often wonders how it feels to love like the others. Maybe he was all too lucky to be able to love with no hesitations and doubts.

Or maybe, it was all just Ja.

Maybe the reason why he loves like the air he craves to breathe was all because of Ja. So, when he realizes that he's missing, he's like a deer caught in headlights. He scampers around, unknowing of the way it's always been Ja– that he's completely devoted enough to roam every hall, every corridor, every room, just to look for him.

Matteo walks along the empty corridors, the soft echo is his footsteps accompanying him like a steady heartbeat. He feels like he has been walking through the empty hallways for hours on end, just to look for his boyfriend, Ja. His mind drifts, lost in the labyrinth of his thoughts, until he turns into a corner and sees Jandro– illuminated by a shaft of golden light streaming through a nearby window.

A warmth pools in his chest, a soft smile appearing on his lips as he is met with the sight of Jandro. It was like seeing daylight– so beautiful and bright, something that immediately brightened up his gloomy and tired day. He's turned around, but he could already imagine the heavenly look on his face, it was always so easy to imagine.

"Found you," he says, walking towards Jandro and wrapping his hands around his waist.

It startles the other boy, jumping slightly at the sudden contact. Jandro smiles, turning around. Their eyes met like it was the first time. Jandro wraps his arms around Matteo's neck, only smiling. The smile on Jandro's face was enough to erase the weariness that had settled within him during aimless wandering just a few minutes ago. He sat on the arm on the armchair, letting Jandro transfer all his weight on him.

"I've been looking everywhere for you, you know?" Matteo chuckles, placing his chin on the blade of Jandro's shoulder. "Kung saan saan ka ata napapadpad, e."

Jandro also laughs, "Sorry, kinausap ko kasi 'yung rep ng grade 9, may kulang sila na representative for the culmination activity. I went back here to fix the classroom."