Hosts and Ghosts

"Err...emm......Argh! You win. I thought I could make you give up but you beat me." He signed, "As I promise, I will let Jay go."

"That's good....." I felt relieved, my shoulders felt lighter. If he doesn't keep his promise, I don't know what to do then. Watching me, Mr. Eric called my name.

"Alfie, don't be happy so fast. Even if I don't exorcize Jay, it doesn't mean other ghost sweepers may not too. I suggest you be careful." He warned.

"Other ghost sweepers?"

"That's right. The ESH is the one and only formal public organization which exorcizes ghosts in this country, with more than hundreds of branches located in different cities. There, besides me, there are also many strong and high-skilled ghost sweepers. Most of them are nice and open-minded people but some of them are a bit cold-blooded and dangerous. If they know about you and Jay, I'm not sure what they will do..."

"We'll be careful, thanks for the warning." I answered.

"Well, you don't have to worry much. Your buddy is quite strong. I haven't seen such a powerful ghost for a couple of years."

"I'm strong?" Jay spoke up suddenly, "Don't be kidding, I just lost against you. Besides, I don't think you used your full strength to fight against me." Mr. Eric laughed a little.

"Don't worry, I'm kind of stronger than other ghost sweepers. You should be more confident in yourself. Although you don't seem to have much experience in battles, just judging by your amount of Tav, you have already outnumbered a large number of ghosts."

"Tav? What is Tav?" I asked.

"Tav is a spiritual life energy power inside ghosts. Ghosts can use Tav to do many things such as to summon weapons or cast spells. The more Tav a ghost has, the stronger the ghost is. We, ghost sweepers, ranked the ghosts according to their amount of Tav they have. The first rank, Alef, is the strongest while the sixth rank, Vav is the weakest. Jay ranked the second, Bet rank."

"So I'm really strong....." Jay said with doubts, he didn't feel like being strong after he was defeated.

I tried to ignore him and said, "Mr. Eric, Tav is similar to wakan, right? Wakan is the spiritual energy in humans while Tav is the spiritual energy of ghosts." Mr. Eric remained silent, he seemed startled.

"...........you really know much about ghosts. Your family aren't ghost sweepers, are they?"

"No. Not am I aware of."

"That's a shame......" He said, he sounded upset, I didn't know why. He tried to lighten himself up and changed the topic.

"Anyway, what you said is correct. Ghosts will absorb the wakan from their hosts. While the wakan touches the ghost's body, it will then change into Tav to work as a fuel for ghosts. If a ghost runs out of Tav, it will disappear. Also-----"

"Mr. Eric." I interrupted him suddenly.

"What's wrong?"

"Why are you telling me so much?"

"What do you mean why?"

"We are enemies, right? You are a ghost sweeper while I am a human who protects ghosts. We are not fighting against each other now but I don't think we are allies." I replied. Same as Jay, I didn't trust Mr. Eric, there wasn't any reason for him to be kind to me. Mr. Eric sighed.

"I think you have mistaken something, Alfie. Exorcizing ghosts is only part of our job, our real aim is to help people not to exorcize ghosts."

"What is the difference? Aren't they the same?"