Purple with envy

It was a rainy Saturday night in smiling valley, unusual for the normally peaceful and quiet location.

During this night, a certain orange dog was lying awake in bed, thinking...

Thinking about his closest friend.

Catnap and him were really close-knit, and had been for years now. And it made sense. They were opposite, but alike. They were sun and moon, dog and cat, energetic and sleepy, everything.

They were used to hanging out together, sometimes with the others, and sometimes one on one.

Dogday would never tell anyone, but he liked their one-on-one hangouts the most.

But lately, catnap had seemed more distant than usual.

He'd glare at Dogday from a distance, scoot away when he tried to touch him or hiss when he accidentally touched him, and always turned down hangout or social gathering invites.

At first Dogday thought that he just needed some time to himself, and that was fine, but as catnap got more aggressive with his shunning, Dogday figured there was something wrong, and that catnap was angry at him.

But why? Nothing was different with them.

All that changed was that he'd been hanging out with the other smiling critters more.

With all 6 of the others, Day felt like he'd been neglecting them a bit, and so tried to spend time with them one-on-one more often.

On Monday he'd helped Bubba solve some math problems, on Tuesday he'd helped Bobby make a flower bouquet to give to her crush, Hoppy, on Wednesday he'd helped Craftycorn paint a new birdhouse she'd made, on Thursday he'd helped Kickin polish his surfboard, on Friday he'd had lunch with Picky, and on Saturday he'd played a game of badminton with Hoppy.

But why would Catnap be mad that he was spending time with everyone else? On every day he'd at least said hello to him.

Wait.

Oh no...

If Catnap got mad because he was closer with the others, then...

There was only one logical solution.

He was jealous of him...

Maybe Catnap had grown resentful that the others liked him so much, and thought he should be leader of the critters...

Then an even more concerning thought arose.

What if catnap wanted to get RID of him...?

He got scared as a clap of thunder struck at that exact moment.

He leaned over to reach in his bedside drawer, pulling out the headphones and mini cd player that he kept in case of situations like this.

He put in his favorite lullaby cd, and put the headphones on, pressing play.

He started to calm down a bit as the soothing piano music began to fill his ears.

He needed to talk to catnap as soon as possible, so that meant getting enough sleep so he could get up early.

~the next day~

As morning broke in smiling valley, the thunderstorm had dialed down to just soft rain.

After his favorite breakfast of waffles and orange juice, Dogday put on his orange rain boots and got his favorite orange umbrella, then ventured out into the rainy valley.

He splashed in some puddles as he made his way to the park, enjoying the rainy atmosphere.

As he arrived at the park, He looked around the wet green place for anyone else, then noticed a spot of purple in the distance.