Chapter 10|Quit (Finally Pt.2)

OLLY
I woke up in a panic early in the morning. Today was the day I'd be quitting and using my extra paid vacation days. I smiled a bit before getting out of bed really early, and when I say early it was five am. I made my way quietly to the kitchen where I made myself some coffee, then I wrapped up in a blanket and sipped my coffee while reading a book. I heard a small sniffling noise from the bedroom, so I went to investigate.

"Ollie what's wrong?" I asked softly, "Mummy, I had scary dreams," he replied, tiny tears falling down his chubby cheeks. I sighed and pulled him out of his crib, I got the sweetest toddler snuggles and we sat down in the living room. I started bluey for him so that I could make breakfast, I wasn't going to make the mistake I made yesterday.

"Ollie! Breakfast, and then we get ready for daycare!" I called to my kid, he looked over and came running. I giggled and I put him into his high chair. We chattered together eating our eggs and bacon together. "Mummy, Me play with Izzy and Luka today!" He exclaimed excitedly. "No way buddy, that's so cool!" I chirped, he smiled, and we finished our food. I helped him get his clothes on, a fist to the nose, no blood, but it was sore, and I helped him with his shoes.

"Bye Ollie, have fun with your friends!" I smiled, Ollie running away to see Luka. I took a breath and made my way to my car, and going to Sydney Social Services for the last time. I rocked out to some of my music on the way there to calm my nerves.

"Hello Kelly," I said walking into the office and heading straight to Holly's office, she was my boss. She smiled and waved, giving me a confused look as I just passed. I walked up to the boss's office. I knocked on the door, and she answered, "Hello Olivia, what can I do for you?" She smiled. I smiled and handed her the letter. She read it and gave me a sad smiled, "Aww Olivia, I'm disappointed you're leaving. And yes those days will be given to you, but can you stay for one last shift today?" I nodded slightly, and I went to my office.

"Oi, Olivia, what's going on?" Kelly called across the office, I shrugged and stuck a few things into my backpack that I'd brought. "Well Kelly, I'm quitting, after that last case, I'm just done, I'm getting a job at a cafe before I can get a better job." I said. She smiled and made her way over to me, "I'll miss you Olivia, it's so fun when you're here." She said, I gave her a hug and smiled at her, "just remember, I'm a phone call away." I said, she nodded and a few other coworkers bid me farewell. I made a few last phone calls with foster parents, and then that was it. I walked out of the building as a cps worker for the last time.

I picked up Ollie with a smiled and he ran at me, "Mummy, I made another friend, Jaime!" He exclaimed. I smiled at him, "I'm so proud of You Ollie, you're such an outgoing kid," he grinned and looked at me with those perfect loving eyes. "We should get Harrison to celebrate my new friend!" He yelled at me. I chuckled and nodded, "I can do that, we could go to icebergs and we could all watch the dum dums." He nodded, I liked calling the drunk people dum dums for his littler mind, he wouldn't understand that much yet. "I'm gonna call Harrison now okay?" I offered, he nodded and I sat him into his car seat before dialing Harrison's number.

"Hello?" He asked. "Hey Harrison, Ollie made a new friend and I quit my job, so he wanted to celebrate by going to Icebergs." I said, I heard a small chuckle form his end which caused me to emit a small laugh, "Yeah Olly, I'd be down to hang with you and Olls." He said. "Okay, great, meet you at icebergs?" I replied, he agreed and hung up the phone.

"Harrison!" I called, getting his attention, he turned around and smiled, Ollie immediately ran to give him a hug. "Hey buddy. Hey Olly!" He smiled. I smiled shyly at him, and came to give him a hug too. "What do we want to get?" I asked. "Our normal." Harrison replied, walking into the order line, Ollie and I went to find a table for the three of us.

"Thanks Harrison, I smiled, managing to devour my food before he had even made a dent in his. "Of course- crap girl, how the hell you manage that?" He replied, looking at my plate, "I was hungry," I chuckled, Ollie was focusing on his food and was silent which is starange around Harrison. "Ollie you good?" I asked, he nodded and I went back to my conversation with Harrison. "So how was today?" I asked. He shrugged, "a few rescues, and a couple first aids, but a pretty chill day, the black cloud was off today." He chuckled. I nodded, "Yeah, Mouse is so unlucky." He chuckled and went into detail about the first aid that they had to do, sea urchin stings. Those hurt, a lot. "Mummy?" Ollie asked. I looked over to see a very disappointed child, "what's up bud?" I asked, he looked at me, tears welling up in his eyes, "mummy, I finished my food but I don't remember when, and I'm hungry." He said, I burst into silent fits of laughter and Harrison sprang to action, going to grab him some more food.

"Harrison, you're a lifesaver!" I gasped after Ollie finished his second plate of food. Harrison shrugged and I hugged him. "It's kinda what I do, and I can't stand to see my favorite toddler upset." He chuckled. Ollie gave him a huge smile and went to hug him. We made our way out of the restaurant, and Ollie gave him another hug, before separating, "bye Olly, bye Olls-boy." He said, I smiled at Ollie's new nickname before taking his hand and walking back to the car.