Foolish Little Girl

Dawson's P.O.V.

We were short three horses since the ambush the night before. My initial thought was that the Berkeliums made way with them in the diversion of the fire. But with very few survivors from their camp, I couldn't imagine that was the case. It was more likely that the horses had escaped their tethers and run from the flames.

It would be a miracle if we ever saw them again.

We could abandon one of the carts, which would reduce the need for one of the missing horses, but that still left a few of us traveling on foot. And we had a lot of ground to cover over the next several months.

Just as Keeley was finishing the thick chunk of bread Henry had given her over half an hour ago, I approached to discuss food transportation with him.

"If all the produce and ingredients weren't stored in these crates, then I'd say we could divide them up between each horse, but... I don't think we have the saddle luggage available," Henry argued.

"That was my same concern..." I answered with a hand on my forehead, my fingers pressing into my temples. This was a headache I didn't need today.

"We have horses," a little voice piped nearer to the ground, and Henry and I both turned to the girl who sat with her feet propped up on the stump, her wrists balanced on her knees.

"You have horses, Keeley?" I confirmed, turning my attention her way.

"Yes," she nodded. "Back at my camp."

Henry and I exchanged a look.

"And you would..." I spoke carefully. "Lend them to us?"

She offered half a shrug, her eyes lowering to the ground. "If what you say is true, that my people are really all gone, then the horses will die of neglect unless someone takes them." She shrugged again. "Might as well be you."

I wasn't sure what I was expecting but it wasn't that. I had my suspicions. Her agreeable mood didn't fit the situation. She had been with us for less than twenty-four hours, and in that time, every one of her own people had died in an ambush that she played a part in. She nearly marched herself through the woods to return to her own camp to get away this morning, and then she warily agreed to stay. And now she was offering aid to our cause?

I wasn't proud of the distrust I felt towards her, but I imagined a little would be healthy given the predicament. So, with a polite nod, I accepted her help.

"I would appreciate that, Keeley. Thank you. Is your camp far from here?"

"Not terribly. We would be back within an hour. Maybe two if we run into any hiccups along the way."

"What sort of hiccups would we run into along the way?" I questioned, my distrust reaching new peaks. She didn't answer; her eyes scouring the ground as if looking for a suitable answer somewhere amongst the leaves and dirt. "Keeley," I pressed. "What sort of hiccups?"

Her eyes found mine.

"There are Berkeliums all throughout these hills. Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean that they can't see you."

"So, you're saying we'll be attacked?"

"It's possible."

Chuckling with zero amusement, I turned from the girl and paced a few steps before coming back.

"Dawson," Henry interrupted, standing up from where he crouched on the ground. "It may not be worth it."

"I'm not worried about our ability to hold off another attack," I argued.